Sy's 30th Birthday trip, October 2012 the pre-trip

Login to post comments
81 posts / 0 new
RobynPrincess's picture
Sy's 30th Birthday trip, October 2012 the pre-trip

The Pre Trip.

Well, how has it taken till now to do a Pre-Trip?? I think its cause the holiday details are a bit complicated... But more about that later Wink Its been booked since June last year and I don't know how the time has passed, I remember looking at the 'who's going' list and not knowing how I would be able to wait that long! I cant believe our trip was the furthest away at one point!

Dear Lovely Readers, thank you for coming, reading and sharing in my Pre-Trip excitement! I hope this will be fun and interesting to read!

Usually I would start with introducing the cast... but as I said, it's a bit complicated.

The holiday starts with just me and my lovely hubby, Simon. A little over a week into the holiday, hubby's parents (Anne and Cliff) and their friends (Steve and Jude) come to join us! This isn't the first time we've been to Florida with his parents, but this is the first time their friends have joined us. There may also be more to add to the cast in the future - my parents are *really* hoping to come and the invite has been extended to other friends and family who last year expressed interested but it's since died off... Though hubby's cousin (who came to DLP with us at New Years Eve 2011/2012) may fly to join us with her boyfriend, from their home in Australia!

The reason for the trip;

Hubby's 30th Birthday! I asked hubby last year what he would like for his 30th - he had mentioned before a Breitling watch and I wanted to know early so that I could start saving. Well he completely surprised me by saying he would like to go to WDW with his family and stay in a Disney hotel for a few days! I can do that! Laughing out loud
So that is how it started, he actually told me about wanting to go for his 30th before we took our budget trip last year, so we did spend a lot of time on that trip talking about the next trip, what we would do and where we would stay. Also as his parents were with us we talked about coming back with them then.
As I said before, we had asked a lot of other friends and family to join us and while they showed great interested over a year in advance, the interest has dwindled off. It's like a lot of things, great in theory. Plus everyone is feeling the pinch. We have booked a big villa so if we have any late comers they can still stay with us Smile

So the cast... so far...

Me, obsessive planner, 27 now but will be 28 by the time we go. This will be my 10th (eek!) trip to WDW. I am a total Disney nut. I am also a Florida nut. I love the people, the weather, the wildlife, the food... I could go on (but I wont, don't worry! Wink )

This is Hubby, Simon or Sy, he will answer to both but gets worried when I call him Simon, says he knows it's when I'm annoyed Wink He is currently 29 but will be 30 by the time we go. This will be his 4th trip in as many years. His first was our honeymoon - his choice. As you can tell, he has been bitten by the bug as well. He is just the most easy going guy, he doesn't care where we go or what we do, he will go along with just about anything I plan Laughing out loud

Next up are Anne and Cliff. Their first trip to Florida was in 2010 when they came with us and my parents. They then came back with us for just over a week in 2011, this will be their 3rd trip in as many years. They are already talking about buying a place over there in their retirement. They have fallen in love with Florida more than Disney. They will only be doing 1 (possibly 2) Disney days on the trip. They will be taking a bit easier than us Wink

Anne and Cliff

Then we have their lifelong friends Steve and Jude. This will be their first ever trip to Florida. Unfortunately Steve isn't very well, I won't post much about it as I don't have his permission and I wouldn't want to upset him. But they are doing as many trips as they can before Steve is too unwell to travel. They went to India last year with Anne and Cliff.

The Background.

As I said, this will be my 10th trip to Florida! My obsession started years ago. My parents weren't rich so we didn't holiday to WDW when I was young. I always wanted to go (who wouldn't?!) but it wasn't until the year with the adverts that were a young girl and her granddad came out that I wanted to go with my Papa (granddad). One year he sat me on his knee and asked me if I would like to go with him, my parents were going to New Zealand to see my uncle for his 50th birthday and I didn't want to go (didn't like the uncle) so was going to stay with Papa anyway. To say I was over the moon would probably have been an understatement! Go to the place I had always wanted to go to, with my best friend in the world! I was 11 or just 12 at the time.

Papa and I were very close, my mum was an only child and my nanny died when I was 4, I think he probably used me as his crutch when she died. We were the best of friends and I used to stay with him a lot in the holidays, not because my parents needed something to do with me, but cause I loved spending time with him. I was spoiled rotten *shocker*. He once took me to meet all of the Aladdin Characters at some sort of fair thing. I can't remember much about it but I still have the photo's.

Sorry kind of went off topic there... Anyway, he died shortly after I turned 13. We never made it to Disneyworld. I don't think my heart will ever heal properly. I think about him every day when we go there, about the things we would have done. I still remember those adverts too.

Wow, that was a bit of a downer wasn't it??

Well my parents had no interest in going to America, 'I don't like Americans' my mum would say (sorry to the american readers). My mum's best friend (who I call Aunty) was going to Florida for a week with her husband and they asked my parents permission to take me with them, it was only a few months after he died. My parents said yes but in the end my Aunt managed to convince them to come as well. We only went for a week (a VERY busy week) and the obsession began here really. My mum, who 'doesn't like Americans' said she was in love from the moment she set foot off the plane. She loved everything about it, the food, the people, the theme parks. All of it! And as a result we went back a few more times together. Usually around Feb/March time I was a very sickly child, I have Severe Ulcerative Colitis and almost like clockwork, as the winter came, my UC became worse. I usually relapse around Jan/Feb so we would then go away as the warmth almost instantly heals me.

So fast forward a few years, in 2009 I went to Orlando with my friend. And the week before we are due to fly I go and meet Simon. Well I was a lovesick puppy for the whole 2 weeks! I had a HUGE phone bill when I came home too... I wasn't a misery for my friend though, she was in the same boat. We still had an amazing holiday, one that I will never forget! My first ever girly holiday, most of my friends have girly holidays to the Med to get drunk and sunbathe, I'm not a big drinker and I would be bored of sunbathing in about half an hour, just not for me.

So I think this is probably why Sy decided he would like to go to Florida for our honeymoon. He had heard all about the year before (it actually wasn't my first choice for our honeymoon, shock horror! I wanted to go to Altantis in the Bahamas, but so glad he got his own way Wink ).

The Plan.

Well the plan has changed a few times, we booked our accommodation in June 2011!! So we knew we going back for well over a year, and let me tell you, its been a LOOOONG time coming!

The outline plan is (as of today, it could well change again!),
We are flying with Virgin Atlantic to MCO on the 4th October,
Getting picked up by a Limo and taken to the Beach Club,
Stay in the Beach club for 7 nights (started out at 5!)
Then get picked up by a driver and taken to Port Canaveral for a 3 night cruise, this is Simon's birthday present from me so he knows nothing about this bit!!
After our cruise, pick up the car hire and drive back to Orlando and check into our Emerald Island Villa Laughing out loud Sy think we are getting a basic car but really we're getting an SUV
Stay there for 2 weeks (Anne, Cliff, Steve & Jude join us after a couple of days),
Check out on the 28th and fly home from MCO and arrive home on the 29th Oct.

We intend on doing all of the parks apart from Legoland however Anne, Cliff, Steve and Jude are only doing some parks and aren't completely decided on what parks yet.

Today

Well we are nearly at our 180 day mark so the plan is pretty much set and ready for some ADR's, just the small matter of choosing them.... Ah, I'm sure we can figure it out! I have just been tweaking the itinerary now that most of the park timetable is up. Please feel free to have a nosey, don't be worry about how much is jam packed in there, we can sleep when we're home LOL.

We also booked our Discovery Cove and Universal Tickets at the weekend (thanks Florida Escapes), so it's starting to feel more real now!

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Kristen K.'s picture

Oh my gosh! Just think of all the fun you're going to have and what a FANTASTIC birthday present!!

I want a full report about Discovery Cove, I've always wanted to go there but we just haven't yet. Will you be swimming with the dolphins!?

RobynPrincess's picture

Here is the full plan Laughing out loud

Day 1 - Thursday 4th October 2012
Depart from LGW Airport on Virgin VS027 at 11:15am
Check In to Beach Club
Evening - Epcot
Food & Wine Festival

Day 2 - Friday 5th October 2012
Morning & Afternoon - Magic Kingdom
Afternoon - Swimming Pool at Stormalong Bay
Evening - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Day 3 - Saturday 6th October 2012
Breakfast at Captain's Grill located at Yacht Club
All Day - Animal Kingdom
Evening - Boardwalk

Day 4 - Sunday 7th October 2012
Morning & Afternoon - Typhoon Lagoon
Evening - Epcot
Dinner at Teppan Edo
Food & Wine Festival

Day 5 - Monday 8th October 2012
Morning - Swimming Pool at Stormalong Bay
Afternoon & Evening - Hollywood Studios
Lunch at 50's Prime Time located at HS

Day 6 - Tuesday 9th October 2012
All Day - Animal Kingdom
Lunch at Yak & Yeti located at AK
Dinner Show at Hoop De Doo

Day 7 - Wednesday 10th October 2012
Morning & Afternoon - Blizzard Beach
Afternoon & Evening - Epcot Extra Evening Hours.
Food & Wine Festival

Day 8 - Thursday 11th October 2012
Cruise!

Day 9 - Friday 12th October 2012
Cruise

Day 10 - Saturday 13th October 2012
Cruise

Day 11 - Sunday 14th October 2012
Leave Cruise
Collect Car at 10:00am
Check In to Villa Emerald Island
Dinner at Outback
Wishes Cruise? Movie on the Beach at Poly?
Maybe an hour or 2 at US in the afternoon? Or Possibly some shopping time

Day 12 - Monday 15th October 2012
All Day - Islands of Adventure
Dinner at Chili's

Day 13 - Tuesday 16th October 2012
All Day - Hollywood Studios!
Dinner at 50's Prime Time possibly

Day 14 - Wednesday 17th October 2012
All Day - Busch Gardens
Sunset Serengeti sarfari

Day 15 - Thursday 18th October 2012
All Day - Epcot
Dinner at Via Napoli

Day 16 - Friday 19th October 2012
Morning - Aquatica
Afternoon - SeaWorld
Evening - Shopping
Dinner at Cheesecake Factory

Day 17 - Saturday 20th October 2012
All Day - Universal Studios
Dinner at Hooters

Day 18 - Sunday 21st October 2012
All Day - SeaWorld
Dinner at Outback

Day 19 - Monday 22nd October 2012
All Day - Discovery Cove
Dinner at Tony Roma's (all you can eat Ribs) located at I Drive

Day 20 - Tuesday 23rd October 2012
All Day - Day at the Beach at Clearwater
Dinner at Crabby Bills

Day 21 - Wednesday 24th October 2012
Breakfast at Golden Corral
All Day - Magic Kingdom

Day 22 - Thursday 25th October 2012
Breakfast at Denny's
Morning - Shopping at Prime Outlets
Afternoon - Universal Studios
Evening - Halloween Horror Nights at Universal

Day 23 - Friday 26th October 2012
Breakfast at IHop
Spirit of the Swamp Boat tour lunchtime ish
Afternoon Tea At the Grand Floridian
Dinner at D'Antonio's located at Celebration

Day 24 - Saturday 27th October 2012
All Day - Islands of Adventure
Dinner at Applebee's

Day 25 - Sunday 28th October 2012
Check Out from Villa
Afternoon - Shopping
Return Car located at MCO
Depart from MCO Airport on Virgin at 8:50pm

Day 26 - Monday 29th October 2012
Arrive home

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

RobynPrincess's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Oh my gosh! Just think of all the fun you're going to have and what a FANTASTIC birthday present!!

I want a full report about Discovery Cove, I've always wanted to go there but we just haven't yet. Will you be swimming with the dolphins!?

DC is AMAZING! We have done it twice now (Have a read through my other trip reports, its in both of them). Its worth every single penny! We are doing the Dolphin Swim, but Cliff isnt, he said he isnt fussed sbout it, he will just sit by and take photos of us all in there Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

Kristen K.'s picture

RobynPrincess wrote:

DC is AMAZING! We have done it twice now (Have a read through my other trip reports, its in both of them). Its worth every single penny! We are doing the Dolphin Swim, but Cliff isnt, he said he isnt fussed sbout it, he will just sit by and take photos of us all in there Laughing out loud

Hey, someone sitting around and taking pictures has great value!!

Vettelover's picture

Wow!!! what a busy schedule you are keeping.

Jessi5989's picture

I see you guys are doing the Sunset Serengeti Safari at Busch Gardens! I've been dying to do that one forever now! Have you done one before? I did the regular one during the day because I got it free for my bday that year. It was the coolest thing ever! Feeding the giraffes was so awesome, and I got some great pictures!

JoAnn C's picture

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Are you going to tell Sy about the cruise before you leave or will you keep it a secret until you show up at the ship?

Jess's picture

Holy cow...26 days at Disney....I'm so jealous...you are going to have a blast

RobynPrincess's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

Hey, someone sitting around and taking pictures has great value!!

That is very true! I doubt they will let him get too close mind you, they dont want him to take as good photos and their own photographers - means they lose out then Wink

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

Jessi5989 wrote:
I see you guys are doing the Sunset Serengeti Safari at Busch Gardens! I've been dying to do that one forever now! Have you done one before? I did the regular one during the day because I got it free for my bday that year. It was the coolest thing ever! Feeding the giraffes was so awesome, and I got some great pictures!

No havent done it before, like you we have done the during the day one and thats what's spurred me on to do the evening one Smile

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Sounds like a fantastic trip. Are you going to tell Sy about the cruise before you leave or will you keep it a secret until you show up at the ship?

No will be telling him the weekend of his birthday party (just before his actual birthday), am making him a DVD full of photo's of him growing up, and then photos of us together, our wedding, our disney trips saying i'm happy for the memories weve made together so far, and the ones we are yet to make and then ending with photos of the DCL Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

Simon's Suprises

Well obviously the main surprise is the Cruise, but there are also a few things I'm planning for him.

I have booked us a Limo to pick us up from MCO and take us to BC and then a private car to take us to Port Canaveral.

Will be arranging a gift basket for when we get to BC with a few bits in to get the trip off to a good start.

Booking us tickets to MNSSHP, we've never been before, having always just stuck to HHN at universal. So this trip I thought I would buy us tickets as a surprise for him. I am unsure of when to tell him about the tickets though, I might tell him on his actual birthday as he will need to get a fancy dress outfit sorted!

Sy knows that we will be hiring a car, he doesn't know that we are picking it up after the cruise obviously, but he thinks we are getting the cheapest option, he doesn't know that I've hired us a SUV! We were upgraded once " on our honeymoon " and he loved it. I told him it's a waste of money Wink I don't think I'm going to tell him about the car hire until we come to pick it up, let it be a surprise!

Sunset Safari at Busch Gardens. We did the Serengeti Safari in 2010 and that was amazing so am going to book this as a surprise for him. Am unsure of wen to tell him about it though, possibly on his birthday?

Well that's it for now. I still want to add in a few more surprises, if anyone has any ideas please help! I did think possibly booking a wishes cruise? We have done it before but we loved it.

Watson's go West May 15

Bella's picture

25 days!! Holy crap..I have never been anywhere for 25 days! Girl you know how to vacation....and also your hair is amazing.

When is Sy's birthday?

mickey Bella

bali's picture

Yay!! Another RobynPrincess trip report!! Can't wait. clapping

May 2008 CSR mickey

RobynPrincess's picture

Bella wrote:
25 days!! Holy crap..I have never been anywhere for 25 days! Girl you know how to vacation....and also your hair is amazing.

When is Sy's birthday?

Well I have never been anywhere for 25 days before now.... Tongue it might catch on though Wink

Thank you for the hair comment, i do love it... sometimes... but most of the time the knots Drive. Me. Crazy! lol

Sy's actual birthday is the 3rd of September but his mum works as a chemist in a school so can only have time off during the holidays, so we had to go in Oct.

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

bali wrote:
Yay!! Another RobynPrincess trip report!! Can't wait. clapping

awwwww thank you Laughing out loud glad you enjoy them Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

A bit of a blow this morning, my dad had his tax bill for a quarter and it was quite a lot more than he was expecting and they now say that unfortunately, they wont be able to join us Sad

My mum was in tears on the phone, I know how much they wanted to come and after the past year my mum has had. If you haven't seen my other posts, my mum had total heart failure in September and has been told she probably wont live past 5 years. She is almost completely wheelchair bound now (apart from round the house). They were hoping to come away with us, for 1 reason to give them something to look forward to and another to let my mum (and dad!) have a bit of a break.

I'm heartbroken for them and for myself if I'm honest, I am very close to my parents and particularly my mum, who knows how many holidays we have left together Sad Plus it hurts so much hearing my mum in tears on the phone Sad I have offered to pay for as much as I can for them, I could pay for the flights at least but they wont hear of it, said its parents who pay for children and not the other way round Sad

Well I guess for now, all I can do it keep playing the lottery and hope!

Watson's go West May 15

Vettelover's picture

Robyn, so sorry to hear of this developement, Here's wishing something works out for the better. sad

Manda's picture

Sad I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope something can work out to where they are able to end up going with you. And if not, i really hope it does not put too much of a damper on your trip to where you're not able to enjoy it as much as you would.

Were they going for the whole trip? Maybe they could still come, but cut down on the amount of time they were staying.

RobynPrincess's picture

Thanks for your kind thoughts Smile

They were coming for 2 weeks, the most expensive thing coming from the uk is the flights, the villa share is minimal, and we have already paid for the car hire (that they would share with us and we wouldnt want any money for it). They could cut down on the length of trip but to be honest, it would only save them a very small amount for the villa and spending money.

It wont completely ruin our holiday with them not coming, but i will be sad about it of course. I have just been on the phone again to them offering to pay for their flights but they are having none of it Sad they dont want us to go without to pay for them.

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

Where we're staying

I know this isn't our first stop but, I would like to introduce you our villa Smile

Its on Emerald Island, this will be the first time we have ever stayed on such a posh resort and we're REALLY looking forward to it Laughing out loud

It has 5 bedrooms and I *think* 3 bathrooms " it doesn't state how many there lol. It also has a spa and it has a south facing pool, so sunbathing in the afternoons Laughing out loud

At the moment there are 3 couples so its easy with 3 double beds, but if my any miracle my parents CAN come there will be a fight for who gets lumbered with the twin lol. As it is we get to the villa 3 nights before the others so I've decided that we're having the master (they just don't know this yet!), they wont mind though Smile

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

ADR's

Today I was reading a trip report and it was from a couple around the same age as us, and they went to eat at Sanaa, the photo's alone were amazing and sold it to me! I then went and made our final ADR choice for there Laughing out loud I haven't finished making them all yet, as I'm too far out, but we had 1 space left that I didn't know what to do with. And now I know Laughing out loud

So the list is now...

Captain's Grille for Breakfast
Sanaa for Dinner
Teppan Edo for Dinner
Sci-Fi Dine In for Lunch (instead of 50's Prime Time that's in the itinerary)
Yak & Yeti for Lunch
Hoop De Doo Musical Revue

We will then be going back later in the trip with everyone to Via Napoli and 50's Prime Time but these won't be covered by our DDP.

We will also hopefully be going for Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian.

Watson's go West May 15

Jess's picture

Sorry to hear about your parents but the pictures of your villa look wonderful

Jessi5989's picture

I love that villa!

Mase's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
ADR's

Today I was reading a trip report and it was from a couple around the same age as us, and they went to eat at Sanaa, the photo's alone were amazing and sold it to me! I then went and made our final ADR choice for there Laughing out loud I haven't finished making them all yet, as I'm too far out, but we had 1 space left that I didn't know what to do with. And now I know Laughing out loud

So the list is now...

Captain's Grille for Breakfast
Sanaa for Dinner
Teppan Edo for Dinner
Sci-Fi Dine In for Lunch (instead of 50's Prime Time that's in the itinerary)
Yak & Yeti for Lunch
Hoop De Doo Musical Revue

We will then be going back later in the trip with everyone to Via Napoli and 50's Prime Time but these won't be covered by our DDP.

We will also hopefully be going for Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian.

That looks like the one we stayed in in 2003

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Kristen K.'s picture

The Villa Looks lovely! We stayed in one just down the road from there in February and it was very nice.

Manda's picture

Looks wonderful!

RobynPrincess's picture

We are really looking forward to the villa (not that we will spend all that much time there Wink ) the one we stayed in in 2010 wasnt good at all (if you read my game for all the family TR you will know, what could go wrong, did!) and then last year we stayed in a condo which was nice, but not the standard of the villa for this trip! We decided to go for an upmarket villa this year as Sy wanted something special for his birthday Smile

What's left to book/do

Still to book...

MNSSHP
HHN
Spirit of the Swamp
Book Palo for 1 evening on our cruise
Sunset Serengeti safari
Got to arrange with Carrie a gift basket for Sy
Small matter of paying off the rest of the hotel and Disney tickets (August)
Pay for the villa (August)
Save loads of money for spending/shopping Wink

The biggest thing left to do is make Sy his birthday DVD! I am making him a DVD of photo's of him through the years set to music and then at the end is when/where I am telling him about the cruise!

ADR's had a bit of a shake up!

Found out that Hoop De Doo isn't on during our trip Sad so we had to have a bit of a rethink and we are now doing Coral Reef and Wolfgang Puck Smile had a look around at Menu's and we both fancied things at those restaurants. They are now all booked and are as follows...
Sat 6th Captain's Grille 9:15am & Sanaa at 8pm
Sun 7th Teppan Edo 7:40pm
Mon 8th Sci-Fi Dine In 2pm
Tues 9th Yak & Yeti 2pm & Wolfgang Puck 9:30pm
Wed 10th Coral Reef 8pm

And non DDP ADR's
Tues 16th 50's Prime Time 5:20pm
Thurs 18th Via Napoli 7pm

Watson's go West May 15

JoAnn C's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Found out that Hoop De Doo isn't on during our trip Sad

Is it just not running while you are there or longer? I read on The Disney Food Blog that there were rumors it was closing for refurbishment at the end of the year. I've been trying to find out specfics. I want to go in November.

RobynPrincess's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:
Found out that Hoop De Doo isn't on during our trip Sad

Is it just not running while you are there or longer? I read on The Disney Food Blog that there were rumors it was closing for refurbishment at the end of the year. I've been trying to find out specfics. I want to go in November.

I hate to tell you its due to be closed Oct 1st till New Year Sad

Watson's go West May 15