*Trip Report* 08.28.12-09.06.12 Land/Sea trip

Login to post comments
35 posts / 0 new
macdamron's picture
*Trip Report* 08.28.12-09.06.12 Land/Sea trip

So I'm going to actually do a trip report this time! And since I have the bug I'm going to start it now! We leave 3 weeks from today and I'm starting to make my to-do lists (cause that's just how OCD-ish I am) and any contributions are wonderful! This will be our first cruise and my step-son's (8 yo) first trip to WDW and cruise!

Here's a look at our WDW part itinerary! any suggestions for snacks and Counter service meals would be appreciated!

PreviewAttachmentSize
wdw_2012.pdf186.44 KB
MsVersaci's picture

I love love LOVE your organization!
Looks like a lot of fun! Especially with the cruise to look forward to AFTER WDW!
We're hitting the parks our first day, when I'd rather spend the day at DTD, sort of easing into the atmosphere. Oh well! You're going to have a blast!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hardy0109's picture

"Other snack for Dole Whip if wanted" -- Why wouldn't you want one!! And nice choice on the 50's primetime reservation! I love that place! I would also recommend stopping in the Writer's Shop for a 15-minute chocolate danish break at MGM. I promise that you will love it, or your money back! silly

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.

Allie's picture

Sounds like an awesome trip! A week in Disney PLUS a cruise! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

Vettelover's picture

waiting looking forward to reading all about your trip.

macdamron's picture

Hardy0109 wrote:
"Other snack for Dole Whip if wanted" -- Why wouldn't you want one!! And nice choice on the 50's primetime reservation! I love that place! I would also recommend stopping in the Writer's Shop for a 15-minute chocolate danish break at MGM. I promise that you will love it, or your money back! silly

Weirdly enough, my 8 yo doesn't like the dole whip...we're taking my mother in law as well so the "if wanted" is for them! haha! I'll have to check out the Writer's shop!

Anyone have any ideas about what is essential to pack for a cruise? I'm worried that I'll forget something!

Hardy0109's picture

For cruise, just standard vacation/Disney/hot weather stuff for me on both cruises I have gone on. I don't remember anything that I packed in particular.

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.

The Cookie Crumbler's picture

Very nice chart! For Magic Kingdom counter service I agree with Columbia Harbor House. There's also those waffle sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow that are much talked about.

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

Hardy0109's picture

I like the chart as well. Very un-clutterish and well organized. Nice job.

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.

DisneyDee27's picture

If you're going on a Disney cruise and you like a little nip. Pack a smallish bottle of booze. It's allowed in your Carry-on and saves a little on the cruise budget. wink
Clothing is cruise casual especially for shorter length cruises. We packed pirate gear for pirate night again if it's Disney, they will also supply you with a Mickey bandana and chocolate coins at turndown awesome
Instead of Seasick Meds we bought candied ginger from our local whole foods. Ate a piece or two the first few days and had no issues. You can also have adult beverages with the ginger candy...not so much with the seasick pills.
You have a nice plan...I'm not sure if I'd do the pool before the bus picks you up before the cruise. It's about a 50 minute ride to the port and that could get uncomfortable. We slept in had a hearty breakfast and then used the arcade. The kids can be in their swimsuits to be ready once they step foot on the ship. Then you don't haven't worry about being uncomfortable before your cabin is ready. Our bus picked us up at 1130am...we had plenty of time to get wet and eat again on the ship once we were there. However we did have to wait to board the ship. After being on the bus, you still have security to get through and check in, then boarding number/time so being wet might be aggravating and chilly in the AC port lobby. Just my observations of some kids on the bus and in the port waiting area who looked wet, cold and unhappy.
You're going to have a blast clapping yay

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

macdamron's picture

The Cookie Crumbler wrote:
Very nice chart! For Magic Kingdom counter service I agree with Columbia Harbor House. There's also those waffle sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow that are much talked about.

Oh I'm definitely getting the nutella one with fruit for breakfast! Then steal some of my DH's cinnamon roll!

Sounds like a fun plan, not too hectic. I like that. We have ADRs for Tusker House in October for the first time so I 'll check back and see what you thought of it. Disney cruises are great. I'd love to go again. Enjoy!

macdamron's picture

emelee1053 wrote:
Sounds like a fun plan, not too hectic. I like that. We have ADRs for Tusker House in October for the first time so I 'll check back and see what you thought of it. Disney cruises are great. I'd love to go again. Enjoy!

This will be our second time to dine for breakfast at Tusker House! We loved it so much the first time that we are going again!

macdamron's picture

So we're under a week before we leave! I plan ahead and make lists but inevitably I forget something! What do you guys wish you would have packed but forgot to?!?

Thanks!!

didyoucall911's picture

Sounds like fun. I hate to admit, I'm a little jealous. Have a lot of fun, and let us know how it went. I know I'm not the only one who wants to know.

What I forget.....safety pins and a couple plastic bags for wet stuff.

DisneyDee27's picture

Power strip is a must for charging iPhones, etc...

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Kristen K.'s picture

OregonMom wrote:
What I forget.....safety pins and a couple plastic bags for wet stuff.

Safety Pins! I always need them and never have them. I've started pinning a couple to the inside lining of my purse for emergencies.

emmaanne's picture

Trip day!!!! have a blast!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

November 14-18, 2019 | All Star Movies

March 2-10, 2012 | Pop | Trip Report - http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/ems-long-awaited-trip-report

macdamron's picture

Good news! We are home safely and I'm going to start working on my trip report this weekend! We had a great time! Between WDW and the cruise we are exhausted!

Kris1971's picture

Welcome back! Can't wait to read your trip report!

Allie's picture

Glad to hear you had a great trip and am ever so patiently awaiting your trip report!

Mase's picture

Sounds like you need another vacation to recuperate from your vacation awesome

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

So glad you arrived home safely. I can't to read your trip report and see pictures. clapping clapping

disneydoc's picture

can't wait to hear all about it. mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

RobynPrincess's picture

Can't wait to read your trip report! X

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

macdamron's picture

Aright! I've finally got some quiet time to do this!
I'm weird and we're starting with the cruise first!
Day one (really day six):
We were whisked away on the Disney Cruise Line bus. Then we proceeded to board the ship. Man, it was gorgeous!
IMG_0904
IMG_0903
IMG_0902

In love with this ship, I tell you what! First things first, we then headed to find our room before the sailing away party. We chose a family suite with a verandah and it did not disappoint! The room was spacious and it had separate shower and bathrooms! Then we headed to the Sail Away Party! Super fun!
IMG_1132
IMG_0933

Then, we just wandered the ship before heading to dinner. Our first night's dinner was at the Animator's Palate. It was delicious and amazing!
IMG_0946
A delicious truffle infused cheese ravioli in a cream sauce for one appetizer
IMG_0947
A mushroom risotto for another (minus the breadsticks...ate them too fast!)
IMG_0949
Bacon cheddar soup-yummy
[img]IMG_0950
I'm not normally a fan of fruit in my salad but this worked! And it came with a tangy dressing as well!
IMG_0951
I had the black bean cakes with brown rice and a chipotle sauce. It was delicious! The cakes weren't dry and the sauce had just enough kick to really kick the flavor up a notch.
IMG_0953
Hubby had the chicken. I think it was a lemon flavoring? With veggies and mashed potatoes.
IMG_0954
Dessert...delicious trio of a citrus cake, something chocolate and something else (haha I should have written all of this down! but it was tasty!)
IMG_0955
Hubby had a cookie sundae!

This meal was delicious and our serve staff were amazing! (Pictures to come on the next day) Then we wandered off to the Walt Disney Theater to catch the "Golden Mickey's" which was superb! They did a fabulous job! Then my MIL and Sky headed back to the room and my hubby and I waited until "The Avengers" in 3d started. We hit deck 4 and played shuffleboard for the first time! It was so much fun that we played it every night after that. After the movie, we headed off to bed, so we would be ready for Nassau the following day!
IMG_0960
this was off the veranda in the room!

Kristen K.'s picture

Yay Disney Dream! I miss cruising so much... The Dream is so beautiful, more pics please!

didyoucall911's picture

Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the update, and the pics. We'll be waiting patiently ( sort of) for more.

Allie's picture

Geeze that ship looks stunning! And your food photos are making me incredibly hungry! Can't wait to see the rest!

macdamron's picture

Day 2 of the Dream Cruise:

We arrived in Nassau in the morning. We ate lunch at the Royal palace. No pictures, but it was pretty tasty breakfast. They have menus instead of a buffet in the mornings unlike Enchanted Garden and the Cabanas. Then while we killed time between breakfast and checking in for our port adventure we played a detective game. We were in a huge hurry so I didn't take pictures (but we kept the map and clues), but essentially you sign up to become a detective and you are either looking for the missing puppies or stolen artwork (you choose your case). Then you can choose where you want to start on the ship following the map to certain pictures around the ship. They have at least one on each deck. Usually from the back of the ship on one deck to the front on the next deck, which meant a lot of walking!Then we headed to check in for our port adventure: Glass Bottom Boat Tour.
IMG_0974
IMG_0975
Our tour guide that took us from the ship to the boat
IMG_0976
One of the market places to shop-one thing about this market and the Straw Market-They will do anything to get you to look at their booths (it's like a huge yard sale, except they sell a lot of the same things) and they love to haggle on their prices. We got two shot glasses for $5 (didn't try to haggle on this price) and then a seashell ring for $7 down from $15.
IMG_0981
Our boat and the captain.
IMG_0985
The beauty of this adventure was they offered either plain fruit punch-which was tasty- or you could have rum in your fruit punch. I had the rum. It was delicious. And your first drink was FREE!
IMG_0987
He was an amazing guide! He was very knowledgeable and interactive with the group. He would point out a lot of famous people's homes as we went out to where we would look at the fish. He was great!
IMG_1014
IMG_0995
Just a few photos in the bottom of the boat. It was a great excursion and was only $26 a person! Great Deal for an hour and a half on the boat.
After a bit of shopping and wandering the streets of Nassau, we decided to head back to the ship for lunch and it was starting to rain as well. So we decided to order room service and enjoy the "old school" cartoons on the tv.

Tonight was the optional formal dress night for dinner. We all decided to dress up (when else would I get to wear fancy dresses in real life?!?) Our dinner was at Enchanted Garden. I loved this restaurant. It was beautifully decorated and we had a booth instead of a table, which was fabulous as well!
IMG_1046
Our servers: Gabriella and Mircea. They were so wonderful and I loved that your servers stay with you every dinner!
IMG_1040
Fountain in the middle of the restaurant
IMG_1033
As the dinner progressed, the ceiling would subtly change as if the sun were setting (it would do the opposite in the morning and the flowers on the ceiling would be blue as if the sun were rising).
Appetizers:
IMG_1031
Lobster Ravioli...delicious...
IMG_1032
My DH Caesar salad with spicy croutons
IMG_1037
Raspberry and bleu cheese salad...favorite salad ever! The sweet and the bleu cheese was an awesome match! I couldn't get enough (and yes, I ate 2 appetizers with each meal!)
Main courses:
IMG_1042
Scallops, pearl pasta, and asparagus! Loved it, as it was my first time having scallops, I was pleasantly surprised.
IMG_1043
DH had the prime rib...it did not dissapoint, but he also tried the sea bass on the side
IMG_1045
IMG_1044
My mother in law had the pork dish. She liked it.
IMG_1041
Boredom set in for the kid. He only ever wanted just main dishes, so while we ate our multiple courses he got a bit bored haha!
Desserts:
IMG_1047
I had the bananas foster. It was delicious!
IMG_1048
I can not remember what this was called for the life of me! But it was lemon flavored and almost had the consistency of a marshmallow. It was weird, but good.
IMG_1049
And then as a gift from the chef, we had these. The orange ones are apricot and pineapple flavored gummies. They were delicious. The chocolates were dusted in unsweetened cocoa powder. Had to talk my boys (hubby and son) into trying them as the hubby hates the cocoa powder on its own and the kid is always skeptical of new things, but loves chocolate. Once they powder dissolved, they absolutely loved the chocolate itself.
IMG_1051
Hubby then had a second dessert to celebrate his dinner. My MIL wanted to be sure to celebrate as we would not be with them on his actual birthday as we would be in Palo that night.

After dinner we headed down to get pictures in our formal garb.
IMG_1057

Then we headed back the to the Walt Disney Theater for "Villains Tonight." It was such an amazing show! My favorite for sure!

After dinner we headed back to the room to change before heading back out for the night (hubby and I, MIL and kid stayed in for the night) and saw our new animal.
IMG_1060

While we were on deck 4 (our favorite deck at night) and playing shuffle board, we noticed we were headed back towards land and it looked familiar. Come to find out there was a medical emergency and someone had developed appendicitis...and so we had headed back to Nassau. The whole thing took maybe 20 min. They Assistant Cruise director was the one who actually told us what was going on and he was super nice!