Universal Orlando to build 1,800-room hotel

Login to post comments
13 posts / 0 new
Universal Orlando to build 1,800-room hotel

Saw this posted over on the orlandosentinel.com today:

Universal Orlando, which has experienced record-breaking attendance growth since opening the Wizarding World of Harry Potter two years ago, announced Monday that it and longtime partner Loews Hotels & Resorts will build a fourth on-site hotel to accommodate the crowds.

Scheduled to open in 2014, Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort would become the largest hotel at Universal, with 1,800 rooms. Half of those rooms will be "family suites" " lower-end suites with room for as many as six people.

Full story and artist rendition of hotel here.

Interesting approach with the front of the line passes not included for this resort.

Kris1971's picture

Still won't be Disney!

Vettelover's picture

Kris1971 wrote:
Still won't be Disney!

Exactly!

The Cookie Crumbler's picture

Not a Harry Potter hotel? They would make a killing on that.

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

Kris1971's picture

The Cookie Crumbler wrote:
Not a Harry Potter hotel? They would make a killing on that.

They would make a killing on a Harry Potter themed hotel, but they've opted for some sort of cabana beach theme instead. Missed the bus on that one!

Tony's picture

I'd guess thier current HP license doesn't include a hotel and that they couldn't agree terms with JK Rowling for one.

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

The Cookie Crumbler's picture

Tony wrote:
I'd guess thier current HP license doesn't include a hotel and that they couldn't agree terms with JK Rowling for one.

Too bad. I went to college with some people who would pay the total of their student loans to stay somewhere designed like the school (which is what I assume it would be...)

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

dontthrowsand's picture

The hotel kind of reminds me of an old Vegas tropicana/flamingo.

disneydoc's picture

I agree that a Hogwarts hotel would rock...can you imagine what Disney would do with such? There would be wings for each House, the theming would be incredible, the food (butterbeer...), the costuming of the CMs....just goes to show you that Disney is king.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

JoAnn C's picture

I didn't know Universal was building another Harry Potter land. I loved the Harry Potter books and would love see this at Universal. Maybe I'll wait a couple of years when the new land is open so I can see it all in one visit.

Melissa W's picture

Wow, now I really want a Hogwarts hotel!

Nancy D's picture

We went to Universal this past spring because my husband had a conference at the Loews Royal Pacific, and I gotta tell ya, it was the bomb DIGGITY. I've never stayed in a Deluxe over at Disney, so I have nothing to compare it to, but, when we walked back to our hotel from Universal after a thunderstorm hit and there were employees waiting for us outside the hotel with warm towels for us? I fell in LOOOOVE. The whole Loews experience is super-nice, and one that I would highly recommend (although the only big thrills I got from the Universal experience were Wizarding World and Seuss Land), but I can't imagine choosing to stay at a property that DIDN'T include front of the line passes...that's worth it's weight in dollars right there!

Thanks, Jeff C for the update!! Have you been to Universal?

DisneyDee27's picture

Melissa W wrote:
Wow, now I really want a Hogwarts hotel!

Me too!

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.