Mission: Space, Um, Newbie

Login to post comments
26 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246
Mission: Space, Um, Newbie

Or virgin, if you will.

So, as I've divulged, I have never ridden Mission: Space. See, I am not so much for the rides that are shrouded in mystery; I like to know what I'm getting myself into. And then there was this short period when it seemed like people were, you know, not faring so well on it...

But tell me - what's it like? While I am not a big fan of giant drops and roller coasters (Hello, ToT, you have seen the last of me. You 2, RNRC) I like twirly, and even cork screwy things, and mild roller coasters like BTMRR and SM don't bother me at all.

Shall I take the plunge the next time I'm at Epcot? Should I start with the wimpy side? Should I make sure I didn't just eat my School Bread before blasting into space?

__________________

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4658

Lizzy_B wrote:
Should I start with the wimpy side? Should I make sure I didn't just eat my School Bread before blasting into space?

As far as I am concerned, All of the above. Smile That spinning side of Mission Space is just about the ONLY ride to throw me for a loop. I tried the "wimpy" side the next trip with no problems at all, but on the spinny side my next 2 hrs. were spent trying to get the entire Epcot park to stop spinning.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Mission:Space was initially an attempt to kill me. eek Only ride where I thought for a moment I was going to die.

But after they toned it down, it's not bad at all.

We've not done the wimpy version yet, but we will next time. The not as wimpy side is a little more intense. It's kinda tight though, so if you are claustrophobic, this probably isn't a good option for you. No sudden drops or take offs, just a bit of compression as you "lift off" into space.

I say try it! Go wimpy! biggrin

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

See... im claustrophobic, but have wanted to ride this ride real bad. But if this spins.... I dont know if I can do that. Is this a more advanced than the build your own roller coaster at Disney Quest? Like Lizz... I kinda wanna know what im getting into, and Mission Space is one that to me is a high unknown. Its not like getting on Aerosmith or Tower of Terror.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Hope this isnt against the rules. But this was the best video I could find for Orange that kinda helped ya see what happens... so watch at your own risk.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Ok..so..Mission Space..LOVE it.

I actually appreciate both sides. The first time I rode it was right after it opened. I was terrified because of everything I had heard. I love roller coasters but spinny closed in rides kind of freak me out. I am very claustrophobic (I can't be sitting in an off car with all the doors closed or a small room with the door closed) but the best part about is that they constantly blow cool air in your face throughout the ride. I actually loved the ride in all its intensity..just be sure to follow the directions and do NOT close your eyes and do NOT look away from the screen. I love the wimpy version of the ride because I can look around and see all the buttons and talk to Dave and everything.
If it were me I'd start with the green side and if you like that move up to the orange. The big thing about the orange side is the little "ship" is actually spinning incredibly fast but you can't really tell. You just feel like your being pushed backwards against your seat. Your entire face feels funny.

__________________

mickey Bella


Noturna's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/14/2011
Posts: 95

It's only my FAVORITE ride. Everything, from the queue, to the Gary Sinise video, to the ride itself...it's just AWESOME! I must warn you though, I LOVE spinning and I never get motion sick (except when I'm waiting in line for Space Mountain...there's just something about that ceiling, the music, I can't quite put my finger on...). If you don't either, I think you should just go for it (forget about the sissy ride, it'll just spoil all the fun).

BEST-RIDE-EVER.

Tip: Really, DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES. Paying attention to the screen and answering to the commands will help you forget about your worries while riding. My mom said so herself, and she only got a bit nauseous...

__________________

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I never feel too bad until a little after I get off. Then I get a tad nauseous.

Elaine, if you're impervious to motion sickness have you ever closed your eyes to see what happens? Smile

Noturna's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/14/2011
Posts: 95

cdub wrote:
I never feel too bad until a little after I get off. Then I get a tad nauseous.

Elaine, if you're impervious to motion sickness have you ever closed your eyes to see what happens? Smile

I must have, but nothing happened. It just feels like flying...And during the take off, I feel like floating...It`s just the BEST FEELING!

Come to think of it though, I'm not that impervious to motion sickness...While nothing happened on Disney (except for that Space Mountain queue incident *knock on wood*), I have gotten a bit light-headed and nauseated after riding The Hulk rollercoaster...but I guess that`s only because we kept sticking out heads out to see the lake while on the loop...That was a pretty stupid idea, lol!

__________________

Tony's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2009
Posts: 1260

OK, I can't do spinning rides (teacups are a no no) but LOVE Mission:Space. I've never ridden the green side but Mrs T, who is a ride wimp, has and loves it. As others have said, follow the instructions, focus on the screen and you should be fine. Allow yourself to believe you are actually there which isn't too difficult as this is easily the most imersive ride in WDW (although Soarin runs it close).

Oh and if you don't want to spoil the end of the ride, don't watch the last 30 seconds of the video Mase has posted.

A friend once said to me "The Mouse won't hurt you". Ride green, if you like it, try orange.

__________________

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

JeffC wrote:
Mission:Space was initially an attempt to kill me. eek Only ride where I thought for a moment I was going to die.

But after they toned it down, it's not bad at all.

We've not done the wimpy version yet, but we will next time. The not as wimpy side is a little more intense. It's kinda tight though, so if you are claustrophobic, this probably isn't a good option for you. No sudden drops or take offs, just a bit of compression as you "lift off" into space.

I say try it! Go wimpy! biggrin

It's cool, but it definitely made me feel sick. I'd say just man up and try the green side once anyway Smile

Jeff, when did they tone it down? Last time I went was 2007 and it made me feel sick then, but I don't know if that was the toned down version!

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9501

I say go for it Lizzy! But listen to what everyone said here! Scrappy & I ride the green side everytime now, but I did ride the intense side right after it opened when that was all they had! I also do not like spinny rides usually, heck I can barely handle a merry-go-round, but MS did not bother me. The less intense side is a piece of cake.

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Pegosaurus wrote:
Jeff, when did they tone it down? Last time I went was 2007 and it made me feel sick then, but I don't know if that was the toned down version!

Found this from Wikipedia:

On May 19, 2006, Disney began offering a less intense version of Mission: SPACE (called Green Team, also known as Less Intense training or no spinning), where the centrifuge does not spin, thus eliminating the forces of lateral acceleration for riders who choose the more tame experience. The cabs themselves still pitch and pivot, providing some motion. The normal ride is still available and is called Orange Team (also known as More Intense training or spinning).

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

I think im going to have to man up and go on the Orange in November. Just to say ive done it. If im sick afterwards... oh well... lol

Ill ride it first thing and not have breakfast. That should help out a lot.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

GO GREEN

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Orange all the way!

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

dsoup wrote:
Orange all the way!

awesome <----- he is orange to boot too... lol

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

Pegosaurus wrote:
JeffC wrote:
Mission:Space was initially an attempt to kill me. eek Only ride where I thought for a moment I was going to die.

But after they toned it down, it's not bad at all.

We've not done the wimpy version yet, but we will next time. The not as wimpy side is a little more intense. It's kinda tight though, so if you are claustrophobic, this probably isn't a good option for you. No sudden drops or take offs, just a bit of compression as you "lift off" into space.

I say try it! Go wimpy! biggrin

It's cool, but it definitely made me feel sick. I'd say just man up and try the green side once anyway Smile

Jeff, when did they tone it down? Last time I went was 2007 and it made me feel sick then, but I don't know if that was the toned down version!

OOPS, I meant to say man up and go orange!

Jeff, cheers for the info!

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Tony's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2009
Posts: 1260

Mase wrote:
I think im going to have to man up and go on the Orange in November. Just to say ive done it. If im sick afterwards... oh well... lol

Ill ride it first thing and not have breakfast. That should help out a lot.

Actually, a light breakfast would be better than no breakfast. With no breakfast feeling queasy is more likely to make you pass out.

__________________

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

WyckedPhoenix's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/17/2011
Posts: 459

I have to admit.. this ride makes me nervous but I really want to try it. My concern is going Orange and spending the rest of my day at EPCOT not feeling well.... I don't want to do that considering this is my first trip and I have no clue when I will ever be able to go again, haha.
So I am planning on Green and hoping to enjoy myself. I told my husband if we ride Green and he really wants to experience the full intensity he can do single rider for Ornage, haha.

__________________

*Jennifer Lynn* NDW #38

Check out my blog at Jennifer's Disney Adventures


Noturna's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/14/2011
Posts: 95

WyckedPhoenix wrote:
I have to admit.. this ride makes me nervous but I really want to try it. My concern is going Orange and spending the rest of my day at EPCOT not feeling well.... I don't want to do that considering this is my first trip and I have no clue when I will ever be able to go again, haha.
So I am planning on Green and hoping to enjoy myself. I told my husband if we ride Green and he really wants to experience the full intensity he can do single rider for Ornage, haha.

Here's the thing though: There's NO spinning on the Green Team ride. None. And that's what makes people nauseous...Therefore, you'll never know how you'd feel about it unless you try the Orange...

Like I said, I took my mom and she HATES spinning and she only felt A LITTLE sick to her stomach...After half an hour, she was as good as new.

But if you're proned to motion sickness, just go Green. It wouldn't be worth it, spending the whole day nauseous that is...

__________________

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Depending on lines, I think I'll try wimpy and then not-wimpy. I love to compare stuff like that anyway. Thanks - and feel free to keep talking about the ride! (Mase - haven't watch the video yet, but I'm definitely going, although I might skip the end. Smile )

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Lizzy_B wrote:
Depending on lines, I think I'll try wimpy and then not-wimpy. I love to compare stuff like that anyway. Thanks - and feel free to keep talking about the ride! (Mase - haven't watch the video yet, but I'm definitely going, although I might skip the end. Smile )

I think that's a good plan..check out the situation first. Plus you're lucky. If it makes you yuck you can go home and come back another day!

__________________

mickey Bella


DonaldDork's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2011
Posts: 621

I've only been on MS space once.. and that was my first trip to WDW.. we had um.. "played" at Pleasure Island a little too long the night before and well.. let's just say I had to meet my group at EPCOT that day because I couldnt get out of bed.
So when I met up with them, they were getting in line for MS lol.. so here I am.. the woozy kind of hangover where you're still kinda drunk and spinny getting on my first ride at EPCOT--Mission Space. So I got on the green side and I was surprisingly ok (and sober) when I got off! Two of my group went on orange and we had to stop walking around for about 30 min because they were sick from it.
But I think this was before they toned it down... I'm not sure. It would have been 2007?

I havent been on it since because my brother doesnt think he'd fit in the ride because he's a big boy lol.. (but he recently lost 100lbs so maybe next time)

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4658

DonaldDork wrote:
I havent been on it since because my brother doesnt think he'd fit in the ride because he's a big boy lol.. (but he recently lost 100lbs so maybe next time)

Tell your borother Congratulations for me. I know how hard that is and how much work and willpower it takes. I lost 60 LBS about 10 yrs. ago (to under 200) and have put most of it back on and am again working on loosing it but it keeps finding me.

__________________