Romantic Trip Advice/Tips?

Login to post comments
19 posts / 0 new
drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261
Romantic Trip Advice/Tips?

My girlfriend and I are both in our 20's, and we'll be at WDW for a week in July. Her birthday is then, and I'm surprising her...she has NO idea yet. The last time I was there was 2004, and she hasn't been there since she was like 10. I just want some tips and suggestions and stuff..I'd really appreciate it. Here's the plan so far:

We'll stay in either BWI or BC. 6 nights.
Day 1) We'll arrive, relax, and head to DTD for dinner at Paradiso 37.
Day 2). Character breakfast at Cape May, then DHS during the day, Dinner at Mama Melrose with Fantasmic.
Day 3). (her birthday). In-room surprise breakfast, Epcot all day, Dinner at Il Mulino @ Swan, Illuminations at night.
Day 4). MK all day, dinner at one of the Sig. Restaurants at a MK resort...probably Cali Grill. Wishes either from there, or on Main St. Right after dinner.
Day 5). Either Epcot or DHS again. Dinner either Coral Reef, 50's Primetime, or Yachtsman Steakhouse.
Day 6). Character breakfast at Tusker House before our day at AK. We won't miss expedition everest or Kilimanjaro Safari...don't worry lol. I made an ADR for dinner at Boma at AKL. She's a semi picky eater so I figured a buffet would be a better bet than Jiko.
Day 7). Departure day mad no plans yet....any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long thread post. I was just snooping around and saw how willing you guys are on here to help and answer questions so I figured lemme ask! A couple things though....first off...I'm gonna propose. I have a few ideas but not set on any yet.

Second....I realize its gonna be hot and crowded 7/7-7/13. So I'm gonna get to parks at opening, disappear after lunch, utilize fastpasses, and park hop. If anyone has any "must-do" lists, pllleeeasssee share!!!

Thanks so much!!

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Your trip sounds soooo amazing! Really, great job planning. She will be delighted for sure.

I really think that you're incredibly well prepared! I might suggest a plan for hydrating. Depending on where you're coming from, either plan to bring a case of water, or Brita filter bottles that you can fill up at water fountains. Also, be sure to check out the schedule for your days, and take into account Extra Magic Hours.

Have you decided how you're going to tell her about the trip? That could be a lot of fun, too. Maybe ears or an autograph book?

__________________

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6757

Great job on the planning. I loved the Tusker House for breakfast and am planning on going again in November.

For your last day, what time are you leaving? How many days on your park pass do you have? If you only have 5, then you can plan some time at DTD to buy any last minute souveniers. If you have 6, hit one of the parks to visit any rides or attractions you missed the first time or really enjoyed and want to experience a second time.

I noticed you have park hopper passes but your itinerary only has one park per day. I think it's a good idea to have the park hopper if the park you are visiting gets too crowded and you can hop to another one. If you are planning on leaving the park after lunch and are going back to the same park in the evening, you won't need the park hoppers. If you don't think you'll use it, you may want to consider removing the option and save some money. Just a suggestion.

__________________

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

JoAnn C wrote:
Great job on the planning. I loved the Tusker House for breakfast and am planning on going again in November.

For your last day, what time are you leaving? How many days on your park pass do you have? If you only have 5, then you can plan some time at DTD to buy any last minute souveniers. If you have 6, hit one of the parks to visit any rides or attractions you missed the first time or really enjoyed and want to experience a second time.

I noticed you have park hopper passes but your itinerary only has one park per day. I think it's a good idea to have the park hopper if the park you are visiting gets too crowded and you can hop to another one. If you are planning on leaving the park after lunch and are going back to the same park in the evening, you won't need the park hoppers. If you don't think you'll use it, you may want to consider removing the option and save some money. Just a suggestion.

Thank you so so so much for all the advice and suggestions!!! I'm blown away at everyone's helpfulness on here clapping

Honestly...having the park hopper basically will let us see Illuminations every night lol. I mean we'll probably be back in time to the BoardWalk area (our resort area) at night. Plus the walkway to Epcot from our resort brings us right into the backdoor into World Showcase. So that rocks. We'll definitely wind up park hopping.

As far as hydrating and water, I'm planning on using MouseHouseConcierge and ordering a case of water or two to have delivered straight to our resort. It's a really awesome site...check it out if you haven't yet.

Offline
Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 416

Sometimes on the last day we like to have a nice breakfast and visit resorts if we don't have a ticket to the park. Other wise we have breakfast and decide then what park we want to see one more time. Some good ideas for that kind of breakfast are Kona Cafe, Kouzinna, or Grand Floridian Cafe. There are more quiet and romantic than the character breakfasts. Enjoy your vacation it sounds amazing.

__________________

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

We like to sleep in the last day and have room service delivered for Breakfast. It's a nice treat, especially if your room has a great view.

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

Our flight home departs at around 8pm. So we gotta be at Orlando airport at like...7ish I guess. So what to do til then?

PS: looking at that plan, do you think I should do a dining plan? I wasn't going to, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

drj898 wrote:
Our flight home departs at around 8pm. So we gotta be at Orlando airport at like...7ish I guess. So what to do til then?

PS: looking at that plan, do you think I should do a dining plan? I wasn't going to, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Are you using Disney's Magical Express? If you are... they will want you to board the bus over to the airport a couple hours prior. Till then... visit Downtown Disney. Have lunch there or an early dinner. Can always burn time there. But I HIGHLY recommend Disney Magic Express... you check in your luggage, and you won't see it till its delivered to your room! Its a great feature that makes things so much easier. Same when heading back. Check your luggage in at your resort, and they will let you know what time your bus you have to get on will arrive and just hop on it, and you won't see your bags till you land!

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

Mase wrote:
Are you using Disney's Magical Express? If you are... they will want you to board the bus over to the airport a couple hours prior. Till then... visit Downtown Disney. Have lunch there or an early dinner. Can always burn time there. But I HIGHLY recommend Disney Magic Express... you check in your luggage, and you won't see it till its delivered to your room! Its a great feature that makes things so much easier. Same when heading back. Check your luggage in at your resort, and they will let you know what time your bus you have to get on will arrive and just hop on it, and you won't see your bags till you land!

Yep...Magical Express is the plan. I don't think I'd like to do DTD though. I'll be over in the BoardWalk area (either Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club), and I heard that the buses to Downtown Disney are really scarce and time-consuming. Especially since we'll be away from that area. I'm expecting 2hrs each way between wait time and travel time. (Rather than the 1 hour I expect traveling between Magic Kingdom and the resort & Animal Kingdom and the resort).

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6757

drj898 wrote:
Our flight home departs at around 8pm. So we gotta be at Orlando airport at like...7ish I guess. So what to do til then?

PS: looking at that plan, do you think I should do a dining plan? I wasn't going to, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I don't know if it varies by resort but it's been my experience with the Magical Express, the pick up time is 3 hours before your departure.

I'm a fan of the dining plan.

A couple of things to keep in mind when making your decision.

Il Mulino at the Swan does not partipate in the plan so you will have to pay out of pocket. Both Cali Grill and Yachtsman Steakhouse are signature dining (2 dining credits).

__________________

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

When do you plan on telling her?

__________________

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

I'm a fan of the dining plan as well, especially when I want to do some of the signature establishments. It gives me peace of mind when I sit down at a table and don't have to keep adding up everything in my head.

Ollie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/28/2011
Posts: 1039

It isn't the most classic place to watch Wishes from, but in Frontierland, there is a sort of by-pass walkway that is also sort of dock or pier looking, along the water.

We've watched wishes from there during the summer and it was surprisingly quiet and under populated. Of course seeing Wishes straight on from in front of the castle is amazing, but if you go a second time, the quiet and relative isolation is so romantic!

__________________

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

Jess wrote:
When do you plan on telling her?

Well Jess....tell her what? About the trip entirely or proposal? Lol I'm guessing you mean the trip..I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend.

Regarding a dining plan: I'm strongly considering one. It fits better and ill probably do it.

Her birthday night, Monday, will be seeing Wishes from MK. On Wednesday, we'll head to Poly for Ohana and see Wishes from there.

Thanks everyone...again..lol

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

drj898 wrote:
Jess wrote:
When do you plan on telling her?

Well Jess....tell her what? About the trip entirely or proposal? Lol I'm guessing you mean the trip..I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend.

Regarding a dining plan: I'm strongly considering one. It fits better and ill probably do it.

Her birthday night, Monday, will be seeing Wishes from MK. On Wednesday, we'll head to Poly for Ohana and see Wishes from there.

Thanks everyone...again..lol

Yeah I meant about the trip.... Didn't know if it was a wait until you board the plane type of thing

__________________

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

Jess wrote:
drj898 wrote:
Jess wrote:
When do you plan on telling her?

Well Jess....tell her what? About the trip entirely or proposal? Lol I'm guessing you mean the trip..I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend.

Regarding a dining plan: I'm strongly considering one. It fits better and ill probably do it.

Her birthday night, Monday, will be seeing Wishes from MK. On Wednesday, we'll head to Poly for Ohana and see Wishes from there.

Thanks everyone...again..lol

Yeah I meant about the trip.... Didn't know if it was a wait until you board the plane type of thing

Ehh....well if it were up to me, I'd wait til the day before. Ish. lol.

I need to tell her at least 45 days before so she can give notice to her work before she leaves. And...I can brief her on where we'll be staying, and our flight info and stuff. The ADR times and restaurants will be right before we enter the places lol.
awesome biggrin

PS: I absolutely love all you girls for all the advice. Thank you so so so so..etc. (lol) MUCH!

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Ohh holy romance!! I loves it!

My boyfriend turned fiance turned husband and I went seven times in our twenties without kids and it was fan-flipping-tastic. We got engaged and honeymooned there..Disney really is a great place for romance.

There are just some things that the DH and I did at WDW that really made it special. I should start off by saying we much more enjoy "fun" than "romance" by any means..we just took advantage of the fact that we were young and childless. Especially since now we are old (30) and have a kid (just one).

We got engaged during Illuminations at the Rose and Crown..he tipped off the waitress and asked her to tell him when the finale was..everyone was watching the finale and not us so in a way it was crazy crowded but incredibly private. Then the waiters and waitresses sang All You Need is Love by the Beatles.

Carriage Ride at POR..about the most romantical thing we did.

Around the World Segway Tour at Epcot.

__________________

mickey Bella


Jessi5989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2011
Posts: 580

Bella wrote:
Then the waiters and waitresses sang All You Need is Love by the Beatles.

OH. MY. LORD. that is the cutest thing I've ever heard! yay yay yay yay yay yay yay

drj898's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2012
Posts: 261

Bella wrote:
Ohh holy romance!! I loves it!

My boyfriend turned fiance turned husband and I went seven times in our twenties without kids and it was fan-flipping-tastic. We got engaged and honeymooned there..Disney really is a great place for romance.

There are just some things that the DH and I did at WDW that really made it special. I should start off by saying we much more enjoy "fun" than "romance" by any means..we just took advantage of the fact that we were young and childless. Especially since now we are old (30) and have a kid (just one).

We got engaged during Illuminations at the Rose and Crown..he tipped off the waitress and asked her to tell him when the finale was..everyone was watching the finale and not us so in a way it was crazy crowded but incredibly private. Then the waiters and waitresses sang All You Need is Love by the Beatles.

Carriage Ride at POR..about the most romantical thing we did.

Around the World Segway Tour at Epcot.

lol, I still love both of you. Anyways, I think we enjoy "fun" more than "romance" too. A Cali Grill dinner is the most romantic I'll get. (....probably) laugh