Princess Half Marathon Weekend Support Group - 2018

Login to post comments
188 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Princess Half Marathon Weekend Support Group - 2018

Calling All Would Be Princesses!!

This is the place to gather and talk about your training - travel planning - tips - and maybe even a meet-up mickey
So who are you? Which events do you plan on participating in? Are you a runner or a walker? Speak up - I need some squad goals. muchlove

Who's Doing Princess Half Marathon Weekend
**** 2018****

***** I'll Come Cheer *****

***** 5 K *****
JoAnn C - Princess Power!
Spook - Glass Slipper Challenge!

***** 10 K *****
JMed - You can do it!

***** Half Marathon *****
Kristen K. - It's all or nothing!

Kristen K.'s picture

yay So - I'm Kristen and two weeks ago I though I was going to do the 5K, but after a trpi to the doctor and some serious soul searching I've decided that it's all or nothing for me - I'm going for the Princess 1/2 Marathon!

A little about me. Over the past 3 years my health has not been good, and I knew things were going down hill when I had to cancel my plans for the 2014 race. While I am fairly open about my Fibromyalgia, it doesn't usually keep me in bed. But throughout 2014 my energy just keep draining out of me and it got to the point where I wasn't safe to leave the house alone. When I was awake, I was having black outs, and I was very weak. We discovered that I was dealing with a form of anemia, and in Feb 2015 I began vitamin therapy to rebuild the iron in my blood. It took me an entire year to get to the point where I started to feel normal again. In February 2016 I was talking about getting back to a runDisney and training, I was a week out from the paycheck I was going to use to join the gym and - I broke my leg in 3 places in April 2016. I was put on bedrest for three months, my body forgot how to walk. I had two surgeries, and six months of physical therapy, all to try and get back to a semi-normal gait.

It's now March 2017, and I'm determined to get back to the goal that I had set for myself years ago. I feel like my leg is strong, and physically I feel better than I have in years. I went to the doctor on Monday, we went over my lab results with a fine tooth comb. She cleared me to start training for the Princess Half Marathon.

I made a training plan following a 1/2 marathon walking plan by Hal Higdon. I have more than enough time to ease the way up. I've got a YMCA Membership, and a supportive family and friends. What I need is someplace to be held accountable, complain about stuff when training sucks, get tips from athletes better than myself, and plan a meet-up. That's where y'all come in, join the chat, share your stories, moan and groan if need be. Let's do this.

JMed's picture

Well, I'm JMed (Jennifer) and although I am NOT registered, I am considering it. IF I do it, I will probably go for the 10K. I have had several injuries to my right ankle over the years which gave me issues in the last 2 runDisney 5Ks I participated in.

Back in November/December, I was very sick with what has only been described to me by MANY doctors as some form of arthritis (viral in nature) Every joint in my body was affected and sent me for a real loop. Here is the weird thing, since then, I haven't had a single issue with my ankle??? I tried running a couple times and each time I had a couple issues with joint pain and I have kind of given up.

I want to do this, I want to run again but my fear is winning out. I don't want that pain ever again so I avoid it. I know it has NOTHING to do with the viral portion of it but...

So I guess I really need to start walking and work my way back to where I need to be. I have until May 2 when registration opens to get myself back in a routine. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! Maybe I should try the Castaway Cay 5k next week laugh laugh

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:
Well, I'm JMed (Jennifer) and although I am NOT registered, I am considering it. IF I do it, I will probably go for the 10K.

I'm not registered yet either (April 27th for me) but I have to think like I am. No doubts, one goal, I'm doin' it.

JMed wrote:
I want to do this, I want to run again but my fear is winning out. I don't want that pain ever again so I avoid it. I know it has NOTHING to do with the viral portion of it but...

Pain sucks, really sucks, but the fear can be even worse. I know that I can't understand your specific pain, but I do understand being afraid and not doing things to keep pain from coming back. As someone with fibromyalgia I live with chronic pain and some days just getting out of bed makes me want to cry. However! I also know that some things are worth the pain and fear.

If you miss running, and you want to get out there again then you should do it. You can bitch and moan about it here as much as you want and I will totally be your cheerleader! Hal Higdon has training plans for walkers, as well as runners. You walk every day, now you just have to do it with purpose. Start slow, it's not a race, it's about getting back to doing something you love.

Maybe power walk the Castaway Cay 5K? Add in a little easy jogging here and there?

JoAnn C's picture

I am planning on the 5K. I registered to volunteer to work the Star Wars Dark Side Half next month. If I have fun doing that, I will probably volunteer for the Wine & Dine half (already registered for the 5K) and the Princess half.

I keep thinking about trying for the 10K. I don't know if I can keep up the pace. I don't want to take a slot away from someone who can. I have some time to consider it. I know I have time to get into shape.

alicemouse's picture

I'm kind of out of the running circuit at the moment, but I'll be happy to be here for moral support. We're trying to add some new experiences to our travel and while we still love Disney and will go every change we get, the shift away from night races really took the wind out of my runDisney sails. I am doing the virtual 5K series this summer with a group of friends, but I have no immediate plans to to an on-site race at this point. We're also in a place right now where we have to travel in a way that is complementary to the seasonal nature of my work schedule, so doing future onsite races will be tough under the current schedule.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Kristen K.'s picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I am planning on the 5K. I registered to volunteer to work the Star Wars Dark Side Half next month. If I have fun doing that, I will probably volunteer for the Wine & Dine half (already registered for the 5K) and the Princess half.

I keep thinking about trying for the 10K. I don't know if I can keep up the pace. I don't want to take a slot away from someone who can. I have some time to consider it. I know I have time to get into shape.

Whoo hoo!! Putting you down for the 5K, you let us know if you register for the 10K.

Honestly, I have no idea if I'm going to be able to finish the half. Right now I can't do the pace OR the distance. I'm in the mindset that I have a year to train, and a plan to get there. If I can't do it, I will at the very least leave it all on the course. I know that I won't be fast enough to get character pictures, but that's not a big deal to me.

I've been trying to figure out where the sweeper points are. I think if I can work those points into my training goals (like just get past mile 4 and I'll make the castle, next push past the hotels for mile 8, and then I *think* there's another point at mile 11 but I'm not sure.) laugh My thought is that if I work in faster pushes right before those points, I can get my body used to having to speed up even into the distance.

Kristen K.'s picture

alicemouse wrote:
I'm kind of out of the running circuit at the moment, but I'll be happy to be here for moral support. We're trying to add some new experiences to our travel and while we still love Disney and will go every change we get, the shift away from night races really took the wind out of my runDisney sails. I am doing the virtual 5K series this summer with a group of friends, but I have no immediate plans to to an on-site race at this point. We're also in a place right now where we have to travel in a way that is complementary to the seasonal nature of my work schedule, so doing future onsite races will be tough under the current schedule.

Moral support is fantastic! I'm going to need as much as I can get to keep a positive attitude about training.

I signed up for the virtual race last year just before I broke my leg. I have the medal sitting in a box in my drawer. As soon as I complete my first training race that sucker is coming out and going on display.

Maybe I'll sign up for another to keep me moving over the summer. I like that idea! I'm going to need as many carrots dangled in front of my face as possible.

I did two 15 minute walks this week at about 25 min pace. I know that it's crazy slow - but I'm just starting - I'll get better. Today is my first "long walk" for the training plan. 30-60 minutes without worrying about my pace.

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:
Well, I'm JMed (Jennifer) and although I am NOT registered, I am considering it. IF I do it, I will probably go for the 10K.

I'm not registered yet either (April 27th for me) but I have to think like I am. No doubts, one goal, I'm doin' it.

JMed wrote:

Pain sucks, really sucks, but the fear can be even worse. I know that I can't understand your specific pain, but I do understand being afraid and not doing things to keep pain from coming back. As someone with fibromyalgia I live with chronic pain and some days just getting out of bed makes me want to cry. However! I also know that some things are worth the pain and fear.

If you miss running, and you want to get out there again then you should do it. You can bitch and moan about it here as much as you want and I will totally be your cheerleader! Hal Higdon has training plans for walkers, as well as runners. You walk every day, now you just have to do it with purpose. Start slow, it's not a race, it's about getting back to doing something you love.

Maybe power walk the Castaway Cay 5K? Add in a little easy jogging here and there?

Ahhhh yeah, I didn't think about early reg for DVC LOL. Now I really need to get on the ball lol

I did squats with Blondie today and I was a little sore but it felt good and it reminded me of the "pain" and happiness of running laugh I think I am going to try the 5k for sure. I asked mom if she wanted to do it with me and she shot me down quick so I guess I am on my own!

Spook's picture

Thanks to a familiar face Wink I am already registered! I am doing them all! 5K, 10K and Half marathon. This will be my 4th year for Princess and I love it! I have also been anemic the last couple years but nothing like what you dealt with Kristen. I was diagnosed in July 2015 but only because I happened to have blood work done. I had no symptoms. I went on iron pills and got rechecked in October 2015. All was good so I went off the pills and was rechecked April 2016. Still good. Then in July 2016 I started feeling tired ( but nothing crazy) and my mom said I was pale and sent me to get rechecked laugh Usually it takes a couple days for the Dr to call with results but this time it was barely 24 hours after my bloodwork. Sent me into a panic! Luckily it wasn't anything crazy and I was anemic again. Apparently my hemoglobin went from a normal 140 in April to 78 in August. The Dr was like " you must be exhausted!". Nope. I was more tired but it didn't last all day nor was it everyday. I still came home and hit the treadmill or did a Jillian Michaels workout. I think they thought I was crazy when I asked if I was ok to continue my marathon training and run 13 miles that weekend! I'm still on iron pills and I'm being rechecked this spring. Hopefully I can stop taking them. Now I just need to learn to eat iron rich foods laugh

I will be there from February 21-26 and can't wait to meet up with you ladies mickey

Spook's picture

JMed wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

JMed wrote:

Ahhhh yeah, I didn't think about early reg for DVC LOL. Now I really need to get on the ball lol

I did squats with Blondie today and I was a little sore but it felt good and it reminded me of the "pain" and happiness of running laugh I think I am going to try the 5k for sure. I asked mom if she wanted to do it with me and she shot me down quick so I guess I am on my own!

I'll do the 5K with you! Or 10K if you decide to do it mickey

alicemouse's picture

I heard something this week that I think is important for all of us to keep in mind regarding any fitness-related goal. As Americans (much love to our non-American friends, too, of course), we tend to be all or nothing. There's a competitiveness in our culture that makes us feel like if we're not doing something the "best", we might as well not bother. When working toward any long term goal, we have to have a good-better-best mentality. Promise yourself that at minimum, you will do "good" (in our case, choose getting off the couch and doing something active at least 2-3 times per week). Strive for "best" (example hitting a PR for the day), but allow yourself to be proud of "better" (maybe that's doing something active 4-5 times per week or going faster than you did last time even if it's not a PR kind of day). I found it helpful because as an ex-gymnast, I do have a perfectionist mentality that creeps up and bites me sometimes and it can be very paralyzing to forward progress.

My friend Reggie also has a saying that goes hand in hand with the idea of working hard for a goal, but realizing that we simply can't get there in one big step, that it take s million little steps to get where we're going. "Good Better Best. Never Let it rest. 'Til your good is better and you better than your best."

Ok, off to listen to my own advice and get back to work on those goals!

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Kristen K.'s picture

alicemouse wrote:
we tend to be all or nothing.

I was an competitive athlete as a young person, so that mentality is something I have in me. I thought really hard about this race; I know I have a 5K in me, with training I'm 90% sure I have a 10K in me, the Half is an unknown. Becks and I were discussing the races and she said she thought she was considering the Half. That made me really take a good hard look at myself and how I would feel if my best friend completed this goal that I've had at least 8 years, and I didn't even try. I decided that what I have to do is try.

I think for me in this instance the "all or nothing" goal represents that I'm going for the Half and not the 5K or 10K. I'm completely unsure if I will make it, and I know that there's a high chance I will be swept, but I'm going to give it my all to cross the finish line no matter what.

alicemouse wrote:
it take a million little steps to get where we're going

I'm really happy with the training plan that I created, those million little steps are going to be really important to keep me moving on this. I think that as long as I keep seeing improvement every week I will be happy. The big hurdles for me will be weeks that I plateau, or have to deal with a fibro flare, or minor injury. I created an list of ways that I can quantify a work out as successful that gives me small personal triumphs to keep me going.

Faster - increasing my pace
Farther - covering a greater distance
Longer - more time walking even if my pace is slower
Better - feeling physically better when I'm walking, and recovering faster with little or no pain

awesome Yesterday I did the first "long" walk in my training plan. The goal was to walk 30-60 minutes. I was going for 60, I did NOT make it. I hit 30 and started getting really tired, so I decreased my pace and really pushed through to 40 minutes before a 5 minute cool down. I was disappointed at first because I didn't make it 60 minutes but then I took a closer look. I hadn't reached the goal that I wanted to, but I did go father and longer than I have in maybe 4 years! That's HUGE!!! Plus, I learned that I could complete a walk that in my training plan I thought I was three weeks away from. Another huge thing for me to be proud of.

It's going to be all about those million little steps - thank goodness I have a year to take them.

Kristen K.'s picture

This made me bawl like a baby. I think it's because she used the Wishes music.

https://

Allie's picture

I'm in the AliceMouse boat in that I probably won't be there but am virtually supporting you all! I find that for me, just registering for a race gets me motivated. I will not run on my own if I don't have a goal date to hit and be held accountable for. I also loved what Holly said about the "all or nothing" mentality. Plenty of times have I burned out and stopped working out because I pushed myself too far too fast.

Excited to follow along on your journeys. So proud of all of you! muchlove

Kristen K.'s picture

I know that it's only been a week and a half but I'm really proud of how I am doing so far! I did interval training yesterday to work on increasing my pace. I'm *so* slow and it's just making me nuts. I know I haven't worked out for 3 or 4 years but damn I'm turtle slow! Anyhow, with each walk I'm gaining speed and I've dropped 3 minutes a mile since I started early last week. I think there will be more intervals in my future, I still have to shave off another 8 minutes a mile before I reach my Half Marathon goal pace. I'm quite sure it will be harder to shave off those minutes the closer I get to my goal, but I have to start someplace1

Spook's picture

Dropping 3 minutes per mile in a week is amazing progress! Way to go!
yay yay yay yay yay

Kristen K.'s picture

In case anyone had any question, training on a treadmill does NOT = being on the road. Good thing I figured this out early.

MrHub's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
In case anyone had any question, training on a treadmill does NOT = being on the road. Good thing I figured this out early.

I figured that out after I started walking a lot after my heart attack. I use the treadmill now for inclement weather and that's about it.

Huh, maybe I should do the Princess too. I have been known to wear tutu before!

Kristen K.'s picture

MrHub wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

I figured that out after I started walking a lot after my heart attack. I use the treadmill now for inclement weather and that's about it.

I had such a bad workout yesterday, I was just in so much pain, none of which I have been having on the treadmill. Hey! You look great in a tutu! I've seen the picture. muchlove

JanJ's picture

MrHub wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

rolling

I also agree - I prefer walking outside, but will use the treadmill when necessary.

Spook's picture

I hate the dreadmill! I only use it when I can't run outside.

MrHub, you should definatly come to Princess! You'll fit right in with your tutu awesome

JMed's picture

I prefer the treadmill laugh

Only missed one day of walking which was the day we drove down.

Got LOTS of steps in including ALL THE STAIRS on the boat.

AND I did the 5k!!!!! First mile and a half I was doing good. After that, my body gave me a big middle finger laugh laugh

Gotta keep it up. Thinking I am gonna do the 10k eek

Spook's picture

JMed wrote:
I prefer the treadmill laugh

Only missed one day of walking which was the day we drove down.

Got LOTS of steps in including ALL THE STAIRS on the boat.

AND I did the 5k!!!!! First mile and a half I was doing good. After that, my body gave me a big middle finger laugh laugh

yay way to go! You can do the 10K awesome

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:

Yay! I'm so happy that you did the 5K. It's always hard to get back to an exercise routine after illness and injury. yay
Alrighty - I'm gonna put your name up there for the 10K, you're totally in now wink

Spook's picture

Looks like I won't have to hang out by myself pre race this year yay Well, assuming you ladies want to meet up with me Wink

JMed's picture

Awesome, I'm in!!! I guess I better book a room LOL

I didn't walk last night. My shins hurt so bad it was hard to move around the house. Feeling better today so I will get to it tonight!

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
Looks like I won't have to hang out by myself pre race this year yay Well, assuming you ladies want to meet up with me Wink

I will totally "hang." I've decided however that I will not be dancing before the race this year though. OMG when we did the 5K I was exhausted from the 5am dance party before I even got to the starting line. Lesson learned. It's bad enough that you have to walk a mile to even get to the starting line. laugh

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Spook wrote:

I will totally "hang." I've decided however that I will not be dancing before the race this year though. OMG when we did the 5K I was exhausted from the 5am dance party before I even got to the starting line. Lesson learned. It's bad enough that you have to walk a mile to even get to the starting line. laugh

I was already at 2 miles by the time I got to my corral laugh

Allie's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

Seriously, the treadmill is the worst. I really think I would run more if I had more of an opportunity to run outside. Minnesota winters make that difficult, plus I can't really leave my 3 year old in the house along while I go run, but I can go down in the basement and run on the treadmill before she wakes up. I just hate the treadmill so much.

Kristen K.'s picture

I'm actually loving the treadmill right now because I'm doing so much better on it. I'm a little afraid to walk outside again, but I know I have to get over that and fast. I doubled up on my rest days today and yesterday, I just couldn't face the interval training on my plan for today. I have to get to it tomorrow though, and then if the weather stays decent I'll hit the outdoor path again. We'll see how it goes. sarcastic