Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015 - COMPLETED

Login to post comments
257 posts / 0 new
juneau biscuits's picture

TinkASL wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Who says you can't have some FREE fun at Disney...LOL! Of course, lice treatment can be expensive, so scratch my prior comment.

I had one year where I had a student who had head lice once a month. While I quickly learned not to freak out about it (I never got it nor did any of my other students) I became very aware of it and took some precautions. I now WILL NOT put hats on my head, even when they're fun and they call "try me on....". And if I buy a hat I inspect it beyond thoroughly as I became VERY familiar with what it all looked like. My DH now thinks I'm nuts but it taught me that some people really don't care if they have it, it's normal for them and they will try those hats on without any care in the world.

Also, I NEVER knew about the American Spirit show at Epcot! We always seem to pass by America and foolishly assumed it wasn't anything grand. Lesson learned and thanks for teaching me! Smile

I've heard that exact same experience from some of my teacher friends too! A couple of those incidences ended up with most of the class contracting the lice...YIKES! Sorry if I brought bad memories back to you TinkASL!

Yes, the American Adventure is definitely worth at least a one time look. I always see it when I'm in Epcot and hope I have another chance down the road (the good Lord willing)!

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
TinkASL wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Who says you can't have some FREE fun at Disney...LOL! Of course, lice treatment can be expensive, so scratch my prior comment.

I had one year where I had a student who had head lice once a month. While I quickly learned not to freak out about it (I never got it nor did any of my other students) I became very aware of it and took some precautions. I now WILL NOT put hats on my head, even when they're fun and they call "try me on....". And if I buy a hat I inspect it beyond thoroughly as I became VERY familiar with what it all looked like. My DH now thinks I'm nuts but it taught me that some people really don't care if they have it, it's normal for them and they will try those hats on without any care in the world.

Also, I NEVER knew about the American Spirit show at Epcot! We always seem to pass by America and foolishly assumed it wasn't anything grand. Lesson learned and thanks for teaching me! Smile

The American Spirit show is awesome, I haven't done it since 2011, we are usually limited with time so hardly get to see shows. But it is definitely worth seeing at least once! I am also a huge History buff so I love that kind of stuff!

I hope this show stays around for a long time. And agreed, Disney handles the history aspect well...both informative and entertaining (a little emotional too, especially at the conclusion).

After the American Adventure, we made our way to the Land pavilion to do the "Living with the Land" boat ride. You know how there's always one scene from a ride that stays with you for years and years? An image that somehow embedded into your very psyche? For me, it's that farm scene with the golden sunrise bathing the land in hues of golden yellow. If I could live in one scene from a ride, this would be it (although the boat scene at the end of Splash Mountain is a close second). Looking back at that statement, my love of Disney maybe getting serious... laugh

Living with the Land @ EPCOT 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Living with the Land @ EPCOT 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Living with the Land Farmhouse Sunrise @ EPCOT 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

We headed back to World Showcase where we found ourselves 90% of the time while in Epcot. Even with that, I wasn't able to visit half the countries represented there. We stopped off first at Mexico where Sue wanted to try a Mango Margarita. While the brain freeze was painful, my wife said the drink was delicious and told me to give it a try. Now, alcohol isn't my thing and the strongest thing you'll see me drinking is a diet Coke. But in the spirit of togetherness, I took a sip...and WOW! The margarita tasted like a slurp on steroids. I ended up drinking half the glass and we had to go back and get another. If I end up becoming an alcoholic, let it be known that it started at Epcot.

Epcot's Mexico Pavillion 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Epcot's Mexico Pavillion Interior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Mexico 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue gives the Thumbs Up for the Mango Margarita from Epcot's Mexico Pavillion by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From there we shuffled over to Norway...pretty much my favorite country along with Germany We shared a Troll Horn at Kringla Bakeri and sat a while to take in the ambience. Sue wanted to check out the shops, so I had a chance to check out the various troll merchandise. In Hawaii, the troll equivalent is menehune....a little man that runs around possessing magical powers. Sort of like a leprechaun from Ireland or Yoda from Dagobah (just testing to see if anyone is reading this stuff...LOL).

Viking Statue @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Viking Statue @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Karoline of Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Lars-Erik of Norway by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Epcot's Norway 02 by
Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Troll Statue at The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Troll Statue at The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

There was a special room dedicated to (surprise) Frozen which included various costumes, props, and cultural artifacts. Sue found a pretty cool Viking helmet so she did the Mad Suehatter thing. She may even have some Viking blood, so I'm hoping she'll bake me some Troll Horns one day...

Frozen Display @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Frozen Display @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From Norway, it was a hop, skip, and a jump to Germany. I love this pavilion which I think has the best looking courtyard ever. The colors and architectural design never fails to catch my eye.

Epcot's German Pavillion 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Epcot's German Pavillion 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Vanessa of Germany by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Karamell-Kuche @ Epcot's Germany Pavillion 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

It was off to Japan in the late afternoon for dinner at Tokyo Dining. I had never eaten at this pavilion on my two prior trips just because I can get a great Japanese meal right in my own backyard. However Kelly and Colleen had good things to say about this restaurant, so we chose it for our Candlelight Processional dinner package. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised how good the food tasted. I apologize for the smart phone pictures of food, but my mind (and stomach) seem to shift into automatic 'grind" mode once the entrees arrive. Sue always has to remind me to take some pics of the meals, and wanting to get it out of the way, I default to the ease of my Samsung Galaxy Note! I ordered the steak combo with shrimp tempura while my wife went with steak and sushi. I'm getting hunger pangs just typing this...

Sue & Len @ Epcot's Japan Pavillion 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dinner @ Epcot's Tokyo Dining 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dinner @ Epcot's Tokyo Dining 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After a sumptuous dinner, we had about an hour and a half before the start of the Candlelight Processional. We were told by our server to get there 45 minutes before the start of the show to ensure a good seat. I decided to check it out earlier while the others were having dessert. I saw this massively long line that was already passed Morocco and some guests in line confirmed it was for the show. I had wrongly assumed there was a separate line/entrance for dinner package guests so I didn't jump into that human chain link. By the time the others joined me, I was told the line was indeed for both regular viewers and dinner package guests. It seems the only thing the dining option guarantees is a seat in the auditorium. It could be the a chair out in Timbucktoo, but Disney would still considers its obligation fulfilled. Basically, you're better off eating early and getting in line 2-3 hours prior to showtime. That pretty much threw me off my game as I realized we weren't going to get a prime viewing area. By the time we got in, we were forced to sit at the far right of the stage behind a pillar. Of all the dining packages, and we did a bunch, this was the one major disappointment and a complete bust.

Neil Patrick Harris was the host and he did an excellent job. The choir was outstanding and props goes to the stage lighting and overall presentation. I tried to get some decent shots, but the angle and blocked views made it tough. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show more if not for that whole dining fiasco, but as it is, I probably wouldn't do Candlelight again.

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional w: host Neil Patrick Harris 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional w: host Neil Patrick Harris 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After the show ended, we spent a little more time visiting the various countries. Sue decided to head back earlier to check into Coronado Springs (our 3rd hotel). I wanted to stay after park closing to photograph the pavilions, but it began to drizzle making it hard to shoot. Feeling bad that I let Sue go back by herself, I packed up my gear and tried to find her (which was a lost cause). Here are the few night shots I got before leaving...

Epcot Across the River @ Dusk by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth Across the Bay @ Disney's Epcot 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth Across the Bay @ Disney's Epcot by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

United Kingdom Pavillion @ Disney's Epcot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

France @ Disney's Epcot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

France Pavillion @ Disney's Epcot 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fountains of Nations @ Disney's Epcot Innoventions Plaza 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

jtownpluto's picture

You are certainly taking me on a wonderful adventure with this thread! All of the pictures are beautiful, but the night time shots are magical. And pushing the lice issue aside ( eewww), I love your wife's hat pictures! mickey

Quote:
I am a big time collector so I feel your pain. I'm just getting to the point that if I can't display it, I'll part ways. Tired of having a closet full of boxes... laugh

Is Dixie your horse or is that the new born foal? Either way, a very beautiful animal! I'm pretty sure grain is shipped in to Hawaii as most things. I think we even import pineapple now!

Dixie is my mini horse. Standing at just 38" tall she will be 10 this spring and she will never get any bigger. She is a sweetie pie!

jtownpluto wrote:
You are certainly taking me on a wonderful adventure with this thread! All of the pictures are beautiful, but the night time shots are magical. And pushing the lice issue aside ( eewww), I love your wife's hat pictures! mickey

I'm sorry I don't have more nighttime images from Epcot...epic fail on my part silly

That lice issue is a game changer for hat modeling for sure..hah!

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
Quote:
I am a big time collector so I feel your pain. I'm just getting to the point that if I can't display it, I'll part ways. Tired of having a closet full of boxes... laugh

Is Dixie your horse or is that the new born foal? Either way, a very beautiful animal! I'm pretty sure grain is shipped in to Hawaii as most things. I think we even import pineapple now!

Dixie is my mini horse. Standing at just 38" tall she will be 10 this spring and she will never get any bigger. She is a sweetie pie!

She looks like a sweetie pie for sure! Bet you must miss Dixie when you're at the parks...

Coronado Springs maybe the most visually interesting of the moderate level Disney resorts. The artistic design and colors of this Southwestern themed hotel shows strong influences from both Spanish and Aztec sources. While it is labeled as a convention site, we found the place to be rather relaxing (although finding the laundry room at midnight can be a challenge). And hey, I dare you to challenge my assessment of Panchito's as the coolest resort gift shop in all of WDW! The Pepper Mill food court will not disappoint, although the Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orleans is making it look a little dowdy. We had originally planned a two night stay here, but I had switched the first day to the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. A bad move in hindsight as we were upgraded to a junior suite due to lack of standard rooms. We had a living room, two bathrooms, and a spacious master bedroom (at half the cost of the cabin).

Coronado's lobby is one of the nicest, and the smaller size never works against the sheer splendor of the place. The Christmas decorations were nicely tied into the resort theming, giving the hotel a very classy and understated feel.

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

John @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Maya Grill @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Maya Grill @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pepper Market Entrance @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Junior Suite 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby Entrance @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

View Across the Lake @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

JMed's picture

Wow! Coronado Springs looks lovely! I guess I could visit a bunch of resort this summer to avoid some of the heat of the day!!!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Thursday morning was earmarked for Disney Springs. Our schedule was tight, and the parks were screaming for more attention, but our group wanted to at least check out the newly developed shopping area. First off, I had no issues with the prior Disney Downtown, but I think Springs fits in to the much better thematically with a more organic backstory. Springs seems a natural outgrowth of places like Main Street in MK with its more rural trappings. This might have been a place that Walt Disney would have come to as a little boy. Downtown Disney was a glitzy neon collection of urban shops set in the heart of the modern world. It really stuck out like a sore thumb.

Due to time constraints, we weren't able to dine at Raglan Road. It was either there or T-Rex, and dinosaurs edged out the Irish pub. I know T-Rex is run by the same group that owns Rainforest Cafe so I kept my expectations to a minimum (no offense to Rainforest fans, but after a day at Disney parks, the animatronics and theming there feels underwhelming). My initial reaction upon entering the restaurant was.....YABBA, DABBA, DOO! From the moment I was facing a huge tyrannosaurus to gasping at a huge starfish like creature at the bar, I knew this was going to be epic. Whether you're eating in an ice cavern or hobnobbing next to a baby triceratops, T-Rex will blow you away. We're talking Disney levels when it comes to lighting, color, sound, and visual impact. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some Imagineers were involved in the development of this eating establishment. The food wasn't bad either and the portions were more than generous. But it's the show here that will stay with you, not the brontoburger and raptor fries.

Being a big Indiana Jones fan, there was never a doubt Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar would be high on our "things to see" list. The place is surprisingly small, but the intimate location really works to bolster the story telling aspect. If Jock (Indy's pilot at the beginning of Raiders) was really to have opened a bar, it makes sense that it would be smaller and a bit more cozy. A place where Jock could serve drinks, display his collected treasures, and regal customers with tales of high adventure and daring do. The Imagineers did an amazing job here, paying attention to all the little details and nuances that helps sell the tale. You half expect Indy to walk through the doors followed by a bunch of no good henchmen.

A big surprise was Erin McKenna's Bakery - a little hole in the wall that could easily be overlooked. Sue wanted to check it out and ended up buying me a chocolate cake doughnut. And man, what a doughnut...soft, moist, with some of the best chocolate frosting to pass these lips of mine. We actually went back a few days later in the evening to pick up a couple more, but the bakery was long sold out by that time. Do your stomach a favor, head to McKenna's early in the day for a good selection of really delicious treats!

Disney Springs Wall Plaque by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pluto, Goofy, Mickey, & Donald Happy Holidays @ Disney Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney Springs Holiday Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney Springs-Sue & Sleigh by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Christmas Stuff Galore @ Disney Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 17 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 19 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 21 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 18 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

If adventure has a name, it must be chocolate doughnut...oops, guess my mind is on other things...

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar Coasters 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar @ Disney Springs 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue @ Erin McKenna's Bakery @ Disney Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Erin McKenna's Bakery @ Disney Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

JMed wrote:
Wow! Coronado Springs looks lovely! I guess I could visit a bunch of resort this summer to avoid some of the heat of the day!!!

That would be a great idea JMed...hang out in the lobby sipping on a cold ice tea!

From Disney Springs, we were able to catch a boat to our next resort destination...Port Orleans Riverside! We were booked there for three nights, much to the relief of Sue (and me for that matter...the genius who booked 5 different resorts for the trip). Oddly enough, because we had more time at Port Orleans, I ended up not shooting a lot of photos. I guess when you're under the gun time wise, you end up being more productive. We both enjoyed out stay here with its southern styled mansions to the waters of the Sassagoula River. This resort has a well deserved reputation as being a laid back and relaxing place to stay. We booked the Royal rooms, which other then those cool lights on the bed headboards, didn't seem much different from a standard suite. The resort is spread out, but the walks never seem to be an issue because Disney did such a great job of creating a tranquil and beautiful setting.

We got to try out the Riverside Mill Food Court one evening and I gave the pasta station a try. Although it was bit too salty for my taste, I would definitely go back and try another dish. The place is huge with cavernous ceilings and a rustic feel from the dominant use of dark woods. I tried to find the French Quarters on one particular morning, but ended up back at Riverside... laugh! Must have been too much pasta the night before...

Sassagoula Stemboat Co. @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Riverside Mill Docks @ Disney's Port Orlean by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

A Cloudy Morning @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Royal Guest Room @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pasta Station @ The Riverside Mill Food Court, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

2016-01-30_10-20-52 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After checking in and relaxing for a spell, we got ready to return to the Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

By the time we got to MK, the 1st parade was already in progress. Main Street was naturally packed, so we snaked our way towards Tomorrowland to grab some free cookies and hot chocolate. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised how good the cookies tasted, as well as the cocoa. We attended Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween event back in 2004, and I wasn't overly impressed with the treats at the time. The lines were relatively small and we got our snacks pretty quickly.

Disney's Magic Kingdom Cast Member Josimar by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

My wife wanted to ride Space Mountain while I opted for Carousel of Progress. Unfortunately, when I got to COP, I found out they close the attraction by the late afternoon. I would have to experience one of my favorite attractions on another day. Since I now had some spare time, I wandered around Tomorrowland to see if anything caught my fancy. As a side not, Tomorrowland is the least favorite of the lands. As a kid, I loved TL, but don't think the years (and the rapid advancements of technology) have been kind to this place. Management sort of went in the right direction by showcasing more of an alternate, idealized vision of the future, but still lacks a sense of awe and wonder. I wish Disney would go all out with a retro, 50's type of design filled with the optimism of that era. Although the movie starring George Clooney was a box office disappointment, I liked the brief glimpses of the future with the rocket back packs and Jetson style living.

I saw a small group of people milling around a stage, and found out they were waiting for the next performance of VoicePlay. I never heard of the group, but I had time to kill, so I hung out with the rest of the folks. Once VoicePlay appeared on stage, they set out to sing holiday melodies in acapella! I enjoyed their smooth harmony and singing voices and ended up watching the entire show. The timing was perfect as Sue was headed towards our rendezvous spot just as the last song was being performed.

VoicePlay @ MVMCP 2015 Magic Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

VoicePlay @ MVMCP 2015 Magic Kingdom 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

VoicePlay @ MVMCP 2015 Magic Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

VoicePlay @ MVMCP 2015 Magic Kingdom 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After reuniting with my wife, we made our way back to Main Street to stake out a prime spot for the Christmas parade. In his blog, Tom Bricker recommended watching (and shooting) the parade from the Christmas tree at the end of Main Street. This would allow for a head on view as well as framing the castle in the background. It was around 7:30 when we got there and several people had already locked down some spots. I was able to set up my tripod and secure a pretty prime location. A couple of other photographers were also set up next to me so I ended up conversing quite a bit with some really cool people. One photographer (who's name escapes me) told me he's pretty much shot all the parks in great detail, having done it over a two year period. I'm sure this guy's work is incredible, and I wish I had asked him for contact information. Prior to the start of the parade, the street was crowded with the vendor carts making the rounds. I took a couple (a bunch...actually) of test shots to examine image quality and ISO settings...

Pre MVMCP on Main Street USA 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pre MVMCP on Main Street USA 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

It's at this point that we met Tom and Sarah Bricker. About a half hour before the parade, the area really filled up, so luckily I had my tripod set up. Sue hung out more towards the back against the tree base as she wasn't taking pictures. I glanced to my right, and lo and behold, I spot Tom towards the end of the curb. I kept looking and wondering if I should go up and introduce myself. I asked Sue what she thought, and she shook her head and said "No, he'll think you're a stalker!" But being the goofball that I am, I ended up introducing myself. Tom actually remembered my name from the number of emails I sent him asking photography advice (poor guy). After exchanging pleasantries, I asked him if he wanted to join me at my spot, but Tom respectfully declined. I saw Sarah from the corner of my eye, but didn't say anything at first (which was rather rude, come to think of it). Somehow Sue ended up standing next to Sarah, so I introduced both of us to her. Sue, as mentioned earlier, is not a big Disney parks fan...she comes along to accommodate my craziness...God bless her! She and Sarah started talking, and both being mid-westerners, hit it off. My wife later told me that Sarah is super sweet and was impressed with her graciousness. About a few minutes before the start of the parade, Tom came up and asked me if he could sit down next to my tripod. Did he even need to ask...LOL? Tom and I talked about lenses, shooting modes, and his reasoning for shooting sitting down. Tom is actually pretty shy and reserved...very different from his blog persona. Both the Brickers were a joy to meet and it was one of the highlights of my trip. I later told Sue that Tom was a major reason why I upgraded my camera gear prior to our trip, and she just laughed and said "So he's responsible for all of this!"

I had originally planned to shoot all 4 parades during our 2 nights at the party, but we had already missed the earlier performance (ironically, this would be the only time I shot the parade). I used aperture priority mode, but had set my parameters incorretly. This caused a lot of motion blur due to slower shutter speeds and the constant motion of the performers. What is seen below are some of the better ones...but not much...

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Finale Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Micey & Minnie Float 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Mickey & Minnie Float 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

MVMCP 2015 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Seven Dwarves 000 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Seven Dwarves 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Toy Story Float 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Toy Story Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Toy Story Float 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Goofy Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Goofy Float 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Goofy Float 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Candy Cane Dancers 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Candy Cane Dancers 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Candy Cane Dancers 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Kristoff of Frozen 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Frozen Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

What a fabulous looking parade!

More MVMCP photos including good old Santa!

MVMCP Toy Soldiers by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Victorian Waltz by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

MVMCP Reindeers by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Clarabelle Float 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Toyland Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Princesses Float 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Princesses Float 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Santa Float by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Santa Float 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015-Santa Float 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After the parade ended, we said goodbye to Sarah and Tom and hit the shops and rides. Sad to say, we missed out on a lot of stuff at the Christmas party. You really need to do this more than once to get the full experience (but at $70.00 a pop, I can see that as being unfeasible for a lot of folks).

This was the first night I was able to stay after the park shut down, so I took as much shots as possible when crowds began to dwindle. I asked one of the photographers (who I met while waiting for the parade), how long does he stay in the park after closing. The guy told me until security literally carries him out the exit gate... laugh ! I started in Fantasyland and shot Gaston's Tavern first (which is in an earlier post). From there I slowly headed towards Cinderella's castle as security ushered us out to Main Street. When I finally left, there were still quite a bit of shooters in the park, including the Brickers. I wanted to stay longer, but was dependent on WDW transportation to get me back to the hotel. I have to give Disney props for insuring that everyone has a way home. When I went to the depot, security assigned me to the first empty bus. I was the only passenger on the ride back and felt a little bad..LOL! I even apologized to the driver, but she laughed and said not to worry. She's paid by the hour, and not amount of passengers, so it made no difference to her.

Balloons on Main Street by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Entance @ Park Closing 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gargoyle Lookout @ Be Our Guest Restaurant by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Voyage of the Little Mermaid Ride Entrance 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Voyage of the Little Mermaid Ride Entrance by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

New Fantasyland Entrance Area by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle Back View 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sir Mickey in the Shadow of Cinderella's Castle by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle @ Night by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Castle Reflection by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Once I felt I had enough shots of the castle's backside (and feeling the stares of the security guards right behind me), I moseyed towards the front. I did fire off a couple of rounds at King Arthur's Carousel. Not totally happy with how it came out, but at this point, I was rushing to finish up (should have framed the carousel with the castle and other buildings, but there were still guests in that area).

Fantasyland King Arthur's Carousel 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasyland King Arthur's Carousel 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

There were a lot more shooters there including Tom and Sarah. I think he was doing some photos for his blog and you could tell he had already planned out his shots. As for me, I was wandering around lost...like a snowman in the Sahara desert.

Partners Statue Christmas 2015 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Partner's Statue Front View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle @ Closing by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle @ Closing 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Friday was earmarked as a full day and night at Disney's Hollywood Studios! Although this park receives its fair share of criticisms, I must say Sue and I really enjoyed our time there. Without a doubt, HS has two of the best themed restaurants in all of WDW, as well two of the best hard ticket event (I'll cover the specifics as we move further into this TR).

Disney's Hollywood Studios Archway by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Walt Disney Dedication Statue @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Since the park is not as crowded on any given day as MK, I found the pace to be a bit more relaxing and laid back. I found myself looking in the shops more, soaking in the atmosphere, and just having a good time. We started off the morning at the Great Movie Ride. I have fond memories of this attraction, and was happy to hear Turner Classics pick up the sponsor option. Hopefully this will give it a few more years of life, although I admit the attraction is really beginning to show its age. Besides some much needed refurbishments, late 70's movies Alien and Raiders (mega popular when the ride was built) call attention to the ride's history capping by the early 80's. It would be unrealistic to expect Disney to constantly update movie scenes, but would the addition of movies representing the last four decades be out of the question?

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Busby Berkeley's Footlight Parade In The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Singing In the Rain @ The Great Movie Ride by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Casablanca in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

John Wayne In The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Wizard of OZ @ The Great Movie Ride 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Wizard of OZ @ The Great Movie Ride 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mary Poppins in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Raiders of the Lost Ark in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

It's fitting that Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the last scenes in the Great Movie Ride as our next FP was for the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I saw this back in 2004 and the show still holds up incredibly well today. The stunts, set, props, and actors are all first rate. Audience participation in these type of shows can be hit or miss, but the volunteers here really seemed to be having a grand old time. Live shows like Indy need to balance spectacle and action with a straightforward and clear narrative. It could be why I can watch this show (Waterworld at Universal Japan is another) multiple times and walk away from others (Eighth Voyage of Sinbad) after one viewing.

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 15 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 25 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 23 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 20 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 18 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 19 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mcheal's picture

Your pictures are fantastic! Disney would be well informed to make you a freelancer! Your pictures are better than any of the promotional shots I have seen. Love to see how you capture the Disney golf courses. Wife and I are headed to Kauai and Maui in May, your ranch / horse pictures do the Islands great justice.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and trip report.

We met up with our friends a little before noon to check into 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch. Prime Time, along with Sci-Fi Dine-In, represent Disney at its best in terms of immersive theming. I love everything about Prime Time, from the rather simple concept (dining at your mom's house) to some of the best cast member performances (for us it was 'Cousin' James from England). I'm not a big participant type person, but this is one place I can easily play along with premise.

Before we headed into the restaurant, we had a bit of time so we took advantage of a photopass opportunity and did a rare group shot together. I wish I had remembered the photographer's name, but the guy was amazing. Very personable and he knew how to handle a camera too! He did multiple shots and took his time giving us a great assortment of pics!

Kelly, Colleen, Jesse, Erin, Len & Sue @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Even waiting inside 50's Prime Time is a blast. I don't mind the wait inside the queue as it gives me the chance to soak in the minute details and the spot on decor.

50's Prime Time Cafe Service Counter @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Cast Member Danielle & Joan @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Waiting Area @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Bar Area 02 @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Dining Area Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Disneyland on TV @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Christmas Tree Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe TV Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Dining Area @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our server Cousin James kept busting me for having my elbows not the table. I didn't finish my green beans (which i absolutely loathe, but Prime Time always seems to serve me) that I had to take my dishes to the kitchen! It wasn't as bad as 2004, when my server brought me my dessert of green string beans with whipped cream...UGH!

Colleen, Kelly, Jesse, Erin, & Cousin James @ 50's Prime Time Cafe by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Here's a flashback to Sue and I back in 2004:

Sue & Len pose for 50's Prime Time Cafe 2004 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

And here is my infamous String Bean Delight....

Len shows off his Green Bean Dessert @ 50's Prime Time Cafe 2004 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue and I sticked to our plan of sharing entrees and split the mixed plate of fried chicken, meat loaf, and pot roast. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Fried Chicken, Meat Loaf, & Pot Roast @ Disney's 50's Prime Time Cafe by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mcheal wrote:
Your pictures are fantastic! Disney would be well informed to make you a freelancer! Your pictures are better than any of the promotional shots I have seen. Love to see how you capture the Disney golf courses. Wife and I are headed to Kauai and Maui in May, your ranch / horse pictures do the Islands great justice.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and trip report.

Thank you for the kind words Mcheal! I wish I was at that level to freelance, but the bulk of my photos still need a lot of work. Are you an avid golfer? My wife loves the sport, but I never picked it up. I didn't even think about shooting the Disney golf courses, but I imagine they're beautiful.

I love Kauai and Maui! Spent many of my college years in Lihue since my girlfriend's family lived there. Kula, Wailuku, and Makawao are some of my fave spots in Maui. Can you believe the first thing I do when landing in Maui is head straight to Krispy Kreme's? It's the only outlet in all of Hawaii... laugh

Our tummies full, Sue and I headed to Frozen Sing Along Celebration...our next fast pass selection. People really seem to enjoy this show based on forum comments. As for me, I found the production quite curious. Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff appear sporadically until the finale. Olaf is no where in sight. The hosts, while entertaining, weren't really what I wanted to see for the majority of the time. But the audience responded enthusiastically so I'll chalk this one up to different tastes.

Anna from Frozen Sing-Along Celebration by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Anna & Kristoff Share a Motion by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Anna & Elsa from Frozen Sing-A-Long by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Kristoff & Co from Frozen Sing-Along Celebration by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Frozen Sing Along 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Frozen Sing Along 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our night ended with the Merry and Bright Dessert Party. This would be the first and last time we would get to experience the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale! I had initially balked at the $60.00 price for this hard ticket event. That was a lot of bucks for some pastries and sweets. My wife said we'd get a commemorative throw, but that did little to comfort me. Seeing the amount of people at the Osborne event already started convincing me that having a private seating area might be worth it after all. Was I in for a shock when I entered the party and saw the spread Disney put together. Tons of desserts, buckets full of soda and Dasani water, and one amazing hot apple pie made this a memorable night for everyone. The admission was worth every penny.

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 00 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights Finale 2015 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After the party ended, everyone was pretty tired, including Sue, and decided to head back to the hotel, except for me. I wanted to hang out and see if I could do some shooting after park closing. I was busy photographing the main boulevard (it was past 1:45 am) and one of the security guards asked me if I needed transportation back to my room. I replied affirmative and he told me I better get hustling because the last of the buses were getting ready to leave. I thanked him, packed up my gear, and made like a banshee to the bus terminal. I may have to think about renting a car the next time I get to WDW. It would be more costly, but I wouldn't have to worry about getting stranded (although Disney does a first rate job of making sure everyone gets home safely)!

Beverly Sunset Store @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Hollywood Studios Billboard by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Min & Bill's Dockside Diner @ DIsney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Keystone Clothiers @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Keystone Clothiers @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Hollywood Studios Main Street by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

JoAnn C's picture

I haven't seen many pictures of Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. Thanks for posting. I hope to have a chance to check it out on my next trip.

I love the pictures of the carousel at night.