Miss Mikki - November 2013 - Trip Report - FINALLY COMPLETE!!!

Login to post comments
48 posts / 0 new
Miss Mikki's picture
Miss Mikki - November 2013 - Trip Report - FINALLY COMPLETE!!!

My new years resolution - get this trip report started!

Day One - Sunday 3rd November 2013

We got up at 5am to finish packing and chores. My dad picked us up at 7.45am and gave us a lift to Manchester Airport. We were flying Virgin Premium Economy and had already pre-selected our (favourite) seats - 90 days ago - shows how much I was counting the days until this holiday! - and checked in on-line. There were no queues so we bag dropped and went through security where both my bag and my husband were swabbed for drugs - we must look suspicious!

Anyway, we got the all clear and went to the Escape Lounge as I have an Amex lounge card. Snacks and beverages are complimentary. There was the usual mix of clients - business travellers, groups of adult vacationers and a couple of families with slightly older (and I have to say very nicely behaved) children. There was a mature couple in there and the guy must have been some kind of hoarder (or thief). We were sat right by the snack bar and while all the other people were having a coffee and pastry or maybe an alcoholic pre-flight beverage, he went up to the snack bar about 8 times! Dave (My husband) and I sat there in disbelief as he took a full bottle of wine out of the fridge and put it in his bag. He poured a half pint of brandy with a can of coke, 2 beers, 2 cokes, 2 tonics, 8 blocks of cheese, crackers, toast, 5 newspapers and 6 cookies and that is just what I noticed him taking, there could have been more!

Dave had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. As much as I love a glass of wine 10am is a little early for me so I stuck to the coffee. Dave went to the shop to pick up some bottles of water, UK to USA adaptor plugs and a book for me - The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.

Boarding was quick and easy. We were given a glass of bubbly when we were onboard (it is never too early for Champagne). We were finally on our way. Dave bought a bottle of Lanson champagne for us as we were definitely celebrating. The flight was smooth, we were on one of the refurbished jumbo jets and while I think we had a little bit less space than on the old jumbo jets, ergonomically it was well designed so actually more comfortable. Although neither of us are vegetarian, we both chose the vegetarian Thai curry for our meal as it seemed the most appetizing of the three choices. The appetizer was a smoked salmon roulade. Dave is not a fan of smoked salmon so I ate his as well! wink Dessert was chocolate mousse which was horrible and we both left it. yuck All of this was washed down with a couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc. Just before we landed in Orlando we were brought two of the tiniest cheese and pickle sandwiches that I have ever seen with a miniature banana and toffee cupcake. Neither of us are fans of banana or toffee or cupcakes for that matter but we were so hungry we ate them anyway. (Note to self - next time I fly Virgin, take some snacks. The portions were tiny and we were actually hungry during the flight for the first time ever. The flight time was just under nine hours. We joked about the guy who had been taking all the snacks from the Escape Lounge - maybe he had the right idea!!! laugh )
We had the back seats in premium economy so we were first off the plane, straight through immigration, bag claim and straight onto the magical express. Quickest get-out of Orlando airport ever!

We were staying at Old Key West Resort. This was our first time staying in a DVC property. We are not DVC members we just paid for the room. Our luck was still holding. I had checked in on-line so registering with the front desk was quick. Our magic bands were there waiting for us. Mine was orange and Dave chose.... Wait for it.... Grey(? sarcastic ) The magic bands are amazing by-the-way - room key, park tickets, dining plan, charging facilities all on the bands!

I had requested a high floor (as we wanted a balcony rather than a verandah) and canal view as I wanted to be in the heart of the resort rather than on the perimeter. We were allocated top floor in building 47 with a golf course view. We were happy with this.

Bell services took us to our building. We had booked a one bedroom villa. Oh my goodness! The villa was stunning, huge and spotlessly clean. (I was expecting to have to reclean the kitchen area and re-wash crockery with antibacterial stuff as I am really OCD but I absolutely didn't need to). Mousekeeping had presented the villa beautifully with lots of little finishing touches like towel animals. I was glad I had made my Mousekeeping envelopes for each day. Dave and I agreed that it was way beyond our expectations and probably the nicest place we have ever stayed.

We decided to take the boat to DTD (a bit of a first night tradition for us - we normally stay at POR). It was quite quiet. We headed straight to the House of Blues, which is one of our favourites. We did a walk-in and were seated straight away. We were really, really hungry. We ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio each and then build your own burgers. (Me - bacon, avocado and cheese. Dave - Bacon, mushroom, onion and cheese). I don't know if it was because we were so hungry but we thought the burgers were really good. Our server, Matthew was great and we love the theming here too.
By now we were very tired because of the time difference, so we took the boat back. I showered, put on my new Mickey Mouse pajamas and went to bed.

OKW, the tranquil, tropical view from our balcony

no ticker Sad

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_012_rs.jpg
america_2013_012_rs.jpg135.12 KB
Miss Mikki's picture

Question - I have some photos which I took with my new camera Canon EOS 100d, but they are all more than 5mb so I can't post them on the trip report. Is there a way of making them smaller or reformatting them so they are less than 5mb? They are all in jpeg format.
Thank you
Mikki

no ticker Sad

MrHub's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
Question - I have some photos which I took with my new camera Canon EOS 100d, but they are all more than 5mb so I can't post them on the trip report. Is there a way of making them smaller or reformatting them so they are less than 5mb? They are all in jpeg format.
Thank you
Mikki

So you're trying to upload them directly from your computer and not a sharing site correct?
If so, are you using PC or Mac?

Miss Mikki's picture

mrhub wrote:
Miss Mikki wrote:
Thank you
Mikki

So you're trying to upload them directly from your computer and not a sharing site correct?

Yes, we transferred them from the camera to a Dell laptop. They are also uploaded to a site called photobox as we had a calendar made with some of the best shots. I am not on Facebook or any other social networking, but will happily put them on a photo site with good privacy settings if that makes it easier.

no ticker Sad

Magic Mirror's picture

I thought I was the only one who bought new Mickey PJ's before vacation!
laugh

JoAnn C's picture

too funny about the "hoarder". looking forward to reading more

MrHub's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
mrhub wrote:
Miss Mikki wrote:
Thank you
Mikki

Yes, we transferred them from the camera to a Dell laptop. They are also uploaded to a site called photobox as we had a calendar made with some of the best shots. I am not on Facebook or any other social networking, but will happily put them on a photo site with good privacy settings if that makes it easier.

I needed to know how you were trying to load the pictures. You can upload them to photobucket or Flicker or Google, and do it that way, its up to you. If you do, you can set the default size of the picture for loading here, then you can just insert the .img link and there it is. Doing it that way also allows you to write in between picture

like this, so you can write about each picture

If you just want to upload from your computer, open your picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and resize the picture to web size large. That is all thats needed, save it as a copy, not the original just add RS to whatever it's named so you know that picture was resized. Save it in a different folder even if you want. Also , if you upload from you computer, you can not type between or below a picture. All pictures will be inserted below any text.

PreviewAttachmentSize
resize_2.jpg
resize_2.jpg31.27 KB
resize_1.jpg
resize_1.jpg27.33 KB
alicemouse's picture

Yay new trip report to follow!! Love it so far, Miss Mikki!! Benn picked the grey band, too for next trip. His is going to look SO boring beside my awesome green one mickey

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

The Colonel's picture

OKW sounds nice. You can buy a resale contract pretty cheap there.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Miss Mikki's picture

Day Two - Monday 4th November 2013

As we had gone to bed so early on the previous night, we were up super early. We both felt like going for a run. I think we felt that we wanted to stretch out after the flight. We ran around OKW resort. We ran continuously for 35 minutes which I think was about 4K. It was a great way to see the whole resort. After showers we unpacked and settled into the villa.

Next we decided to walk to Downtown Disney. The trail leaves from behind building 55. There were a few people running on the trail (probably training as the half marathon was coming up that weekend). It is a lovely walk. It took 40 minutes to get from building 47 to the marketplace end of DTD. We went to the EOS for breakfast. We had been given the Quick Service dining plan free of charge as part of our package so it felt good to not have to pay for our breakfast. We both had the bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich and orange juice. Dave had grapes and I had coffee. After breakfast we walked up hotel plaza boulevard to the Double Trees resort where we were picking up a rental car from the Budget rental desk. We always hire our cars from here. I don't like picking up a car at the airport as I like to have a couple of drinks on the plane and I often feel a bit tired and spaced out and not too safe to drive after a long haul flight. When I lived in Florida I always rented my cars from here so I guess it is just habit and I have always been happy with the price and the service. Then we drove to the big Walmart on the 535 where we stocked up on supplies - water, wine, beer, milk, cereal, bread, butter, bananas, cereal bars, a few things we had forgotten to pack and washing powder etc. We also bought a cheap kettle so we could make proper English cups of tea (I hate making tea in the coffee machines as the water doesn't get hot enough). I had brought a box of Yorkshire Gold teabags from home. We got back and Mousekeeping had already done our room. We chilled out at the villa for a couple of hours. I had to sort out the cameras and do a few bits and pieces.

Around 2pm we decided to head over to Epcot to check out the food and wine festival. We took the Disney bus from our nearest bus stop which came almost straight away. We were very happy with the bus service at OKW. Once into Epcot we checked out the festival welcome centre. We bought one of the food and wine gift cards on a wristband - I loved this, it was so easy and convenient - and loaded it up with $100. We also picked up our food and wine passports. We headed down to World Showcase. Dave was very happy, this is just the type of event that he enjoys. The crowds were moderate, there was a nice buzz about the place. The queues for the booths were very short, just a couple of minutes wait at the most. Dave started with a craft beer called devil's triangle for the Florida beer company while I opted for a Pinot Grigio from Australia. Then Dave had a tiger beer from Singapore while I tried the chenin blanc from Africa. We both had a Pinot Grigio in Italy and an iron horse fairy tale cuvee at the hops and barley booth. This was the drink we had for our Disney wedding in 2011 so this was a must-have. This went perfectly with the lobster tail and lobster roll available from the same booth. We both had a lovely sauvignon blanc from New Zealand. Dave had a Guiness from Ireland and we finished off trying both the white wines from Greece, one fruity and one floral! Just a note, that may sound like a lot of alcohol, but we had this over several hours, the measures are very small and we were eating snacks at the same time. Also I didn't mix my drinks - just white wine for me. We spent around $80 on drinks. It was worth every penny as we had a fantastic time but we were nowhere near being drunk so goodness knows how much you would have to spend to get like some of the inappropriately behaved people mentioned in another thread!

Now although we had to pay out of pocket for our drinks we used snack credits from our quick service dining plan for our food. I can't think of a better way to spend snack credits. Here is our review of the snacks that we tried (we split them each time)
Australia - grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies. The lamb was cooked beautifully and the pesto had a great flavour. It was covered in what tasted like salt and vinegar crisps (potato crunchies) which I found strange and not necessary. However, we liked this and would have it again.
Singapore - lemongrass chicken curry with coconut and jasmine rice. This was nice but no better than a microwave curry and it would have been nicer with sticky rice. I enjoyed this but would not have it again.
Hops & Barley - Grilled lobster tail with garlic butter. This had lovely flavours but it was cold. I think it would have been nicer warm/hot. I probably wouldn't have this again, really glad I tried it though.
Lobster roll with lemon herb mayonnaise - this was a favourite. I would definitely go back for this one again.
Florida Local - Florida grass fed beef slider with Monterey jack and sweet hot pickles. This was our least favourite of the things we tried today. The bread was very dry and there was not much flavour. It wasn't bad though.
Morocco - Harissa chicken roll. This was very nice. I would go back for this one again.
Hawaii - Kalua pork slider with sweet and sour dole pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise. This was another favourite.

We had done one loop of world showcase. There were many other things we wanted to try but we would save them for another day. One our way out of the park we stopped and rode Spaceship Earth as there was no wait at all. Dave had never been on this ride and I haven't been on it since they updated it. I loved the interactive element - what fun! What a great day - we had done so much. We took the Disney bus back to OKW resort and had a very early night. I think I was asleep before 9pm!

A picture of our mascot - Justin - sitting on the lamp in our villa

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_013_rs.jpg
america_2013_013_rs.jpg88.63 KB

no ticker Sad

JoAnn C's picture

I loved the chicken roll from Morocco. I had it in 2012.

taratru's picture

I must have hit the Florida booth on a good day, because I wanted about 7 of those sliders. And that ceviche was YUM.

Miss Mikki's picture

Mr Hub - Thank you for the help with the photos, I never would have worked that out without your help.

Day Three - Tuesday 5th November

Due to my early night, I was up again at 5am. I enjoyed spending a couple of hours in our OKW villa. I am doing a smashbook of my trip so it gave me a chance to stick some things in and make some notes for my trip report. So this morning we took the Magic Kingdom bus and then a connecting boat to the Polynesian where we used our QS credits to get the bounty platter breakfast from Captain Cooks. Then we took the monorail to the MK. As I walked onto Main Street and saw the castle for the first time this trip, I was overwhelmed with emotion and the tears just started pouring down my face. I honestly wasn't expecting this but Dave was and totally understood. For the past 18 months, through chemo, radiotherapy and two operations I kept saying I will make it back to the MK, I will stand on Main Street and see that damn castle again! And I did awesome - I think there are a fair few of you on this site who have been through similar experiences and understand what I am talking about here.

Dave's favourite ride is the haunted mansion (maybe because it was the first ride he ever went on in Disney) I had FP+ it as our first ride for that reason. Just a note at this point that I thought the magic bands were fantastic. Dave seemed happy that I had FP+ a few rides (secretly) too. After HM we went to the country bear jamboree which Dave had not done before. I knew he would enjoy it as he is a musician and loves Americana stuff, even if it was performed by bears! Next we rode the WDW railroad around the perimeter of the park. Our next FP+ was for the little mermaid under the sea ride as it is new and we have not done it before. It was nice, but I am surprised that a new ride had so little technology, I thought it was very basic and although I love that in old rides like Peter Pan and Small World I was surprised that this didn't offer more. Then we did Mickey's Philharmagic for the first time. Then we walked straight onto the teacups which I love! Our final FP+ was for the barnstormer, great little ride, fun but very short. After this little taste of the MK, we decided to head to Epcot for more of the food and wine festival. We took the ferryboat to the TTC and then the monorail to Epcot.

We started by splitting a beer flight from the craft beer stand. Then Dave had a Tsingsao beer from China and I had a Malbec from Argentina. Today was much more about the food than the wine and we absolutely hammered our snack credits.

Brazil - Seared scallops with ragout of tomatos, peppers and hearts of palm. The scallop was good but the veg was a bit bland.
Brazil - Crispy pork belly with black beans, onions, avocado and cilantro. We loved this one.
Argentina - Beef Empanada - this reminded me of a pasty but with a cinnamon flavour
Argentina - Grilled beef skewer with chimi churri sauce and boniato puree. Both of the Argentinian dishes were very good.
Next we had Garlic shrimp with roasted tomatos but I can't remember which booth it was, maybe Australia? They were lovely big shrimps
Mexico - taco de rib eye with salsa chipotle - good
China - Mongolian steamed bun - this was really good, we both wanted to come back again for this one!

We were quite full by now and it had gone quite hot, so we headed to Italy and sat in Tutto Gusto wine cellar. It was cool and dark in there. We had a glass of Pinot Grigio each and relaxed. We had done enough for today so we headed out of Epcot stopping by the Canada booth for the infamous cheddar cheese soup. I loved it and will probably dream about it. Dave didn't like it, he is not a fan of things with a smoked flavour, so I ate it all. As we passed the UK we stumbled upon British Revolution playing on the bandstand in the English garden. We stopped to watch them until they finished the set and we both thought they were very good.

Now, I know I am a bit of a nag. As soon as we arrived in Florida, I gave Dave some insect repellent and some high factor suncream as every holiday he always gets bitten and burnt (and his shoes always rub and give him blisters). He did not use the repellent or the cream and brought new trainers that he had not worn before or broken in. I despair!

So by now Dave was struggling a bit as his new trainers were rubbing and he had been bitten really badly by mosquitos (he is allergic to the bites so they swell up into huge welts) "I told you so" was right on the tip of my tongue! So Dave headed straight back to the villa while I headed to hospitality house to get something for his bites and blisters! I got chatting to a really nice college program CM but I can't remember his name. I bought some lotions and potions and picked up a menu from Olivias. We were thinking of going to Olivia's or DTD for dinner but we were both quite tired and full from all the lovely snacks. So we chilled out at the villa and just had cereal, fruit, tea and cookies and went to bed by 9pm again!

Picture OKW at night and F&W offerings from Brazil

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_228_rs.jpg
america_2013_228_rs.jpg101.98 KB
p1010074_rs.jpg
p1010074_rs.jpg87.36 KB

no ticker Sad

alicemouse's picture

Great report, Miss Mikki! It's wonderful to hear you talk about what it means to you to have made it to Main Street, USA again. I have a Disney friend here at home who is battling ovarian cancer and I would love nothing more than to see her have this opportunity again.

My DH does the same thing with new shoes--buys a pair right before every trip and proceeds to get blisters from them all week long. He knows better than to complain about it, though!!

Great tip on the snack credits. Could you only use the snack credits on select items or was it pretty much everything? I recall from the last time we used the DDP that there was an option to convert a quick service credit to two snack credits. Does anyone know if that still exists?

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Miss Mikki's picture

Hi alice mouse,
Thank you for taking time to read my trip report.
The snack credits work so well at the food and wine festival. All the small food plates from the booths are included.
I don't know how you would go about swapping a QS meal for snack credits. Let me know if you find out as we left with 14 unused QS meals!

no ticker Sad

Kris1971's picture

Miss Mikki, I had tears in my eyes just thinking about you seeing the castle after all you had been through. What a wonderful thing!

Allie's picture

Oh man you're making me miss F&WF! I'm a little sad we're going to miss it this year, but it will also give us the opportunity to try more restaurants, I suppose. Can't wait for more TR! yay

Miss Mikki's picture

Thank you for your comments and thank you so much for reading my trip report!

Day Four - Wednesday 6th November

Today was a non-park day. Some of you may not have experienced one of these laugh

This morning we headed out to the Lake Buena Vista factory outlet stores stopping at Perkins at Crossroads for a good old American breakfast on the way (Bacon, eggs, toast, coffee).
We looked round the stores. I bought Dave some croc sandals which he said he would never wear (he
put them on said they were the most comfortable shoes he had ever had and wore them for the rest of the holiday). He also bought some shorts and socks (not to wear at the same time I might add). We stopped at Goodings to pick up some more lotions and potions.

I was a little nervous about trying to park at DTD on the way back due to the reconstruction but it was no problem, plenty of spaces. We picked up some salads to go from Earl of Sandwich using our QS credits. We ate them for lunch on the balcony of our villa.

We spent the afternoon by the turtle shack pool (not our nearest but this one has a bar! awesome ) We did some swimming, reading and lounging. Dave and I went to the pool bar to get a couple of beers and the bartender asked for my ID. Yay, forty one years old and I am still getting carded, while wearing a bikini!!! I could have kissed the woman.

We headed back to the villa later in the afternoon for a rest and getting washed and dressed up for our first ADR of the holiday at Il Mulino. We took the Disney bus to Hollywood studios and then the connecting boat to the Swan. We were nice and early for our ADR so we had a glass of wine in the bar area. We had our wedding reception here in 2011. (On a side note if any of you are ever planning a function/wedding the Swan was amazing, we had an event planner, private dining room and a roped off area for champagne in the courtyard. The food and service were excellent). So it was really lovely to be back and revisit the courtyard. We both had the bucatini amatriciana. The Italian food here is really good. I liked that they brought us some speciality breads. I think it was ciabatta and tomato foccacia with eggplant tapas and salami type meat. We also split a meatball appetizer. It was around 10pm by the time we had finished our meal. Hollywood studios had long since closed and we thought it was unlikely we would be able to cut through International gateway to get the the buses at the front of Epcot, so we took a taxi back home to OKW

The Boardwalk at night

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_316_rs.jpg
america_2013_316_rs.jpg121.82 KB

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

More trip report - sorry for delay!

Day Five - Thursday 7th November

Today we headed to Animal Kingdom. I grew to really love this park during this trip. I think it is often overlooked by guests. I love the beautiful theming of the lands.

We headed left into Africa and did the Safari ride (FP+). I had my new camera with me and I was impressed with the photography tips given by our safari guide. There also seemed to be more animals and they seemed closer and I liked the fact that the Safari was now more factual than a theme park ride.

We got some coffee and cake at the Kusafiri coffee shop as we had skipped breakfast. I had the African Spice Cake which I liked but it was huge, it would have done for at least two people or more. We sat at tables at the Dawa bar.

I can't remember the order that we did the attractions after that but in no particular order, we rode Expedition Everest (FP+) which I love! We actually cancelled our third fast pass which was for the Kali River Rapids as we were a bit worried about the new camera getting wet. (I have since notice there are lockers that we could have used). We did the walking tours - Maharajah jungle trek, Pangani Forest exploration, the Oasis and Discovery Island trails and just enjoyed taking in the sights at a laid back pace and taking lots of photographs.We also took the little train up to Rafiki's planet watch and experienced the attractions and exhibits there. We had our mascot Justin with us today as Animal Kingdom is his favourite park. He was very excited to meet Rafiki.

We had an ADR at 2.30pm at Yak & Yeti. I am sorry to say this but it was truly terrible. We were initially seated at a table at the top of the staircase. I asked for a different table and we were given a lovely window table straight away. I can't remember what we had as appetisers but they were just like frozen Iceland snacks that had been heated up in the oven. There was nothing fresh tasting about them and they were over seasoned. Dave had steak for his main course which was so tough that he couldn't cut it even with the steak knife. It was absolutely inedible. We sent it back, the server asked if Dave wanted something else but we were kind of over it by now so he just split my entree with me. I had ordered the ribs which were OK but the sauce was too strong and they were so over seasoned and salty. It was probably the worst meal we have had anywhere, ever. The service was fine so we still left a tip. As I am a Landry's card holder they sent me a survey to fill out about our experience so I was able to feed all this back to them at a later date. Never again!

After this disappointing lunch we walked through Dinoland which was really quite charming. Dave liked the fifties style theming and we said we would spend some time in Dinoland on our next visit to AK. We got back to OKW late in the afternoon, we just chilled out at the villa. I walked down to hospitality house later on in the evening and got us some Tuna Sandwiches from Goods to Go (which has very limited choice but the food is fine). It was a seven minute walk from our building 47 to hospitality house. I am a fast walker though. We walk all the time so it was no big deal to us and I would walk this several times a day sometimes.

Pictures from Animal Kingdom

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_072_rs.jpg
america_2013_072_rs.jpg106.13 KB
america_2013_076_rs.jpg
america_2013_076_rs.jpg140.7 KB
america_2013_087_rs.jpg
america_2013_087_rs.jpg133.33 KB
america_2013_094_rs.jpg
america_2013_094_rs.jpg146.03 KB

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Justin's Photo Diary - Highlights of his day at Animal Kingdom

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Day Six - Friday 8th November

This morning I walked down to Goods to Go to pick up some breakfast which we ate on the balcony of our villa. Dave had the croissant sandwich. I had a bagel and cream cheese and a cinnamon roll, coffee and orange juice.

Then we went in the car to the Expo at ESPN to pick up our packets for the 5K run. We went as soon as the Expo opened at 10am as we figured it would be less busy. It was actually really busy but very well organised. We picked up our race packets and t-shirts. We had a look round all the exhibit stands. Dave bought me a sparkle hair band in purple to match my race outfit. This is a great bit of kit as it actually stays in your hair even when you are running or dancing.

After a good look round we drove back to OKW, dropped the car back at our building and then walked to Hospitality House to get the boat to Downtown Disney.

We were both really looking forward to the Festival of the Masters. I had a friend who had told me a lot about it as her partner used to exhibit here. It was just our type of event. Dave and I both loved it. We really enjoyed walking around all the stalls and talking to some of the artists. We particularly liked the folk art section by House of Blues. We were intending not to drink any alcohol today as we had the 5K the next morning, but it was such a lovely warm day and the festival atmosphere got to us, so we each had a couple of beers sitting outside in the sun in the afternoon. An absolutely, lovely mellow day.

As the evening drew in we headed to Wolfgang Puck express to get take-out (included on our free QS dining plan). Now, I cannot even begin to tell you how good we found the food to be here. I had the chicken and mash and Dave had a chicken pizza. We took the boat back to OKW and ate our food on the balcony of our villa.

We had an early night as it was the 5K the next day.

Race Expo at ESPN
Artists at the Festival of the Masters

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_116_rs.jpg
america_2013_116_rs.jpg143.61 KB
america_2013_137_rs.jpg
america_2013_137_rs.jpg105.55 KB

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Day Seven - Saturday 9th November

We had set our alarms for 4.15am. We were in the car by 5.00am. I was wearing leggings, a purple tutu and a purple Minnie mouse t shirt with my new sparkle hair band. We had tried to take the minimum amount of things with us. Dave was going to run with his phone so we could take a few pictures. I had tissues and a water bottle. We had some cereal bars to eat in the car. That was about it.

Disney had organised the event so well. Parking was easy. It was still dark and there was a great party atmosphere amongst the runners. There was a DJ and characters dancing on the stage to get everyone in the mood.

We went to our corrals. We were in Corral B. Dave was not happy as he said we would not be able to keep up with the pace. I knew he was probably right so we dropped back to Corral C. The only thing that I found a little bit annoying about some of the "runners" was that they walked the whole race and really got in the way of people actually trying to run. I have no problem with them walking but please go in Corral D. In hind sight we should have stayed in B as we had so many walkers that we had to get past in front of us. Why go at the front if you are going to walk? That doesn't make sense to me.

5K may not sound far but I found it really tough. I was determined not to walk any of it. Anyone noticed the hills and steep inclines in Animal Kingdom? No, neither had I until I was running! There was a really tough part about 2 miles in where the sun came out. We were running backstage behind Everest and there was no shade. I contemplated walking for a bit, but Dave was really encouraging and I knew that if I walked I would be really disappointed with myself, so I pushed on and completed the 5K. We had both run all of the course. At the end you get medals, power drinks and a snack box. I felt Euphoric. Best feeling in the world. I can't wait to do another Run Disney event in the future.

We were back at OKW before breakfast time! We went straight down to the pool and went for a swim and relax in the sun.

Liverpool were playing today so the plan was to head to ESPN on the Boardwalk as they sometimes have the UK matches on. After getting showered and dressed we got a taxi to the boardwalk. However, it was still early and the ESPN club was not open yet. We headed to the Bar and Grille and had Southern Flyer beers at the bar. When ESPN opened we went in and were able to find out the score as there was an English match on and the scores from the other matches were displayed on screen.

We were now beyond starving as we had been up since 4am and had only had cereal bars and fruit. We walked to Epcot with the plan of going to the Liberty Inn for some substantial carbs. However, we were side tracked at France into getting a glass of champagne to celebrate our 5K achievement. At the Liberty Inn, I had a hot dog and Dave had a chilli dog which we really enjoyed.

I had been warned by you lovely people that the last weekend of the Food & Wine festival gets very, very busy and it was. We felt lucky to have experienced it earlier in the week when there were no real queues. We had a Pinot in Italy and then decided to escape the crowds.

Dave was keen to return to the Festival of the Masters so I suggested that we get the bus to Port Orleans and have a little look round and then take the boat to DTD. We got off at French Quarter. I am so excited that we are staying here in July.

It was hot today. We walked around DTD looking in shops and stalls. I was really starting to feel like a cold drink, an iced coffee came to mind and I was wondering where I could get one. We headed to Raglan Road and sat at the bar. Dave ordered a Guinness and I ordered a drink called an Iced Irish. On a normal day I think this may have been a little bit too sweet and rich for me, but today it absolutely hit the spot. It was what I was craving. I really enjoyed it.

Later on in the day, Dave had a Long Island Iced Tea from a little stall in the circular courtyard area by Fultons. Dave bought me a limited edition Festival t-shirt from House of Blues. We chatted to some of the artists that we had met the previous day.

We took the boat back to OKW. After a glass of wine on the balcony of our villa, we walked down to Olivia's for dinner. When we were first seated, I found the restaurant to have quite a noisy and bright atmosphere and I wasn't sure it was going to suit me as I was hoping for a quiet meal but actually we soon got used to it and after another glass of wine I was really relaxed. Our server was called Silvanetta. I remember because I thought it was a pretty name that I had not heard before. She was a very good server who really looked after us. The food was excellent. We split the crab cakes as an appetizer. I had the seared scallops as an entree. I can't remember what Dave had. I would definitely return to Olivia's.

It had been a very long, fully packed day, so we walked back to our villa after dinner and crashed out.

Olivia's and the DTD boat at night

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_230_rs.jpg
america_2013_230_rs.jpg86.62 KB

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Day Eight - Sunday 10th November

We drove to Crackerbarrel in Kissimmee for breakfast. I think I had eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy. I had a good look round the little crackerbarrel shop too. We stopped at Publix on the way back to pick up some milk and a couple of other bits and pieces we had run out of, probably wine! laugh

We dropped the car off at OKW and took the Disney bus to DTD for more Festival of the Masters and specifically cocktails. We spent the whole day at DTD looking at the shops and displays, and sitting outside, completely relaxed, chatting and drinking cocktails. We had cocktails in a couple of places. The little bar outside Bongos turned out to be one of our favourite places of the holiday. We had mojitos and coconut mojitos here. I also had a couple of rum runners and Dave had a couple of Long Island iced teas. I am starting to realise that this trip report reads more like a drinks list. laugh We honestly weren't rolling round Disney drunk. This was such a chilled out and enjoyable day. We went to Wolfgang Pucks Express again to pick up some take-out for dinner. I opted for the Chicken Alfredo which was sensational and Dave had spaghetti and meatballs which he also thought were very good. We ate these back on the balcony of our villa.

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_422_rs.jpg
america_2013_422_rs.jpg92.34 KB

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Justin's Photo Diary - Justin was a big fan of Disney transportation and was confused by people who told him the buses were busy. He found that he often had the OKW buses all to himself.

no ticker Sad

I love Justin's Liverpool Disney top, he really has "taste!" great report

Miss Mikki's picture

Thanks Sally-Ann. He does have good taste, just wait until you see him sporting the sombrero he picked up at the Mexican pavilion in Epcot.

no ticker Sad

RobynPrincess's picture

Really enjoying your tr! Can't wait to read more xxxxx

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Miss Mikki's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Really enjoying your tr! Can't wait to read more xxxxx

Thank you Robyn, more coming soon...

no ticker Sad

Allie's picture

So sorry to hear you had a crappy Y&Y experience! That's so disappointing because it is easily one of my fav WDW restaurants! Boo that you had a less then stellar experience! Congrats on the run though! I really want to do a Run Disney event sometime!

Miss Mikki's picture

Allie wrote:
So sorry to hear you had a crappy Y&Y experience! That's so disappointing because it is easily one of my fav WDW restaurants! Boo that you had a less then stellar experience! Congrats on the run though! I really want to do a Run Disney event sometime!

I know, we had heard such good things about Yak and Yeti. We must have just hit it on an off day!
Thank you for reading my trip report!

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Day Nine - Monday 11th November

We were up and ready early and off to Hollywood studios today. We arrived at 9.00am and went straight to Fairfax Fare for two quick service breakfasts. Egg, cheese and bacon/sausage muffins (very similar to those that we get at Macdonalds). We split an OJ and a coffee. We took some photos as it was a beautiful sunny morning and then went for a wander around Disney's Art of Animation. We did the Great Movie Ride, Star Tours (I was the rebel spy) Rock n Roller Coaster (fp+) and Toy Story Mania (fp+) My favourites are TSM and RnR. Then we popped into the Tune in Lounge and sat at the bar. I had a beer and Dave had a Long Island Iced Tea. I left Dave at the bar and went for a look around the shops. I also went to the Writers Stop to pick up an infamous carrot cake cookie for later.

We decided to head to World Showcase for a QS lunch. I had in mind the Tangerine cafe in Morocco. We took the friendship boat from HS to the Swan and then walked to Epcot International Gateway from there. Even with all my research, I thought the F&W festival had finished on Sunday but joy of joys, it was still going on. It was really quiet with no queues at the booths and we still had snack credits remaining. The day was just getting better! So we started in Ireland, I had the lobster and fish pie which I really enjoyed and Dave had a Guinness (of course). Next up was a glass of champagne each from France. We sat at a table in the sunshine and people watched. Dave had another chicken harissa roll from Morocco. We had a glass of Sauvignon blanc from New Zealand and took some photos. We tried the ravioli from Italy and the kielbasa pirogue from Poland with a couple of glasses of Pinot Grigio. We also tried the Riesling from Germany, but we didn't like it as it was too sweet. Germany has some of the best wines in the world, but I wasn't too impressed with the offerings for the F&W. Dave went back to China for another steamed Mongolian beef bun as this was his favourite snack of the festival. We finished the festival with a round of Lamb Chops and Pinot Grigio from Australia.

We took the bus back to OKW, showered and changed and then bussed to Animal Kingdom Lodge via Epcot for our ADR at Sanaa. We were nice and early so we had a couple of South African Sauvignon Blancs at the bar (the wine here is really good). Once seated we started with the bread service. The dips were interesting but not all of them taste nice (?). The bread was good but we found it to be a bit greasy. I had the butter chicken which was lovely and the Goan fish curry which I thought was horrible yuck with rice. Dave had butter chicken and ribs with rice. Sanaa is beautiful and the wine and service were very good but to me the food was just OK. It was nowhere near as good as our local takeaway. I probably would go back here again as it is so pretty. After dinner we had a good explore around AKL including walking to Jambo house. I really liked the theming here. We double bussed back via HS.

Once back at our villa we tried the carrot cake cookie. I am sorry to say that neither Dave or I liked it. It tasted very synthetic and was not to our taste. We both love carrot cake, but this just didn't do it for us.

Bar at the Tune in Lounge HS
The Dolphin
Street Theatre in France
Morocco

PreviewAttachmentSize
america_2013_156_rs.jpg
america_2013_156_rs.jpg106.06 KB
america_2013_157_rs.jpg
america_2013_157_rs.jpg103.06 KB
america_2013_175_rs.jpg
america_2013_175_rs.jpg108.51 KB
america_2013_186_rs.jpg